OT google chrome

JesperMP said:
*: Rockwell Support could learn from how swiftly Google handled this issue.

Hahaha... if ever they did, I'd spend a day walking around the office pinching myself.

Ok, here's another one - anyone taken a look at IE 8 yet?

I spent an hour playing with it last night................ I'm still going to stick with Firefox though.

I prefer it to Firefox so far. One nice thing for performance (that might also make it a memory hog) is that each tab runs in a separate thread.

I like the minimalist design and the Opera style new tab view. There are lots of blogs that discuss the outrageous license, though.

JesperMP said:
That EULA has since been withdrawn and replaced with a statement that "you own everything that you already own" and this should have been expanded to YouTube and some additional Google controlled sites. (*)

Only issue that I know of now is that every Chrome installation generates a unique serial number, and that number is transmitted with every transaction done with Chrome. Not sure what the purpose is, but some websites are active about this issue. Very Microsoftish.

Nevertheless, the mentality and culture that created that EULA continues to exist.

Jeev said:
Chrome is honestly no different to Firefox

Sorry, but no. Chome is faster.....maybe, but it has nowhere near the customization options FF has. 'Right out of the box' Chrome has far less options then FF. Once you start adding addons it just gets worse.

I have dl'ed Chrome and ran it once or twice, didn't really notice any difference to FF concerning speeds. But then again I have faced the dragons and tweaked my FF.

Number of FF add-ons I have... 0. Actually in the last couple of days I've noticed Chrome lags on sites where video is streamed. It's getting quite annoying. Even so, FF has been around for how long? Chrome is a beta, do you seriously expect the same support FF or IE have a week after being released? Ha, they're still ironing out bugs.

I'm going back to FF anyhow.

Forgot to mention:
1. try dragging a tab outside the main window. That's what the multi-threading gets you.
2. Check out how nicely the address bar becomes a search bar. And how smoothly Cntl+F works (also nice in FF). What about how it deals with downloads?
3. Most visited pages on new tab and "recent bookmarks" - works for me.

Why is it "going back to FF"? A browser is a tool - or an application - not a prom date.

Jeev said:
Number of FF add-ons I have... 0. Actually in the last couple of days I've noticed Chrome lags on sites where video is streamed. It's getting quite annoying. Even so, FF has been around for how long? Chrome is a beta, do you seriously expect the same support FF or IE have a week after being released? Ha, they're still ironing out bugs.

I'm going back to FF anyhow.

Last edited:
surferb said:
Why is it "going back to FF"? A browser is a tool - or an application - not a prom date.

Exactly. Chrome is still very much in its infancy. We're all already aware of a few bugs and security flaws it has here and there. I've tried it, I like it, I'll go back to using it when the full version is released. Why sour my view of it while it's still unfinished? Firefox handles a few sites better than Chrome, making it a better tool for those specific sites, and again Internet Explorer is supported better than Firefox or Chrome on a whole other set of sites.

I think if you're going to think of it as a tool, you should be using the right tool for the job :)

Last edited:
I think so too. It's funny since "web browsing" always gets the rep of being the simplest possible computing task. However, modern pages do have a lot of parsing and there's a lot that a browser can do in terms of presenting the information as bits and pieces of the page are downloading. Plus, I usually have a lot of tabs open, which can be resource intensive on any browser.

gbradley said:

I was skeptical about the increased speeds, but I really did notice that it was faster.
Worth a download.
http://www.google.com/chrome

Its my understanding that the lead developer of Firefox, now works for Google so similarities may not be a coincident.

Have others noted Suferb has tipped over the 1000 mark in the last hour and is racing on now, 1010

I didn't hear about that. Doesn't surprise me, though. Google is certainly the place to work these days. I'll read more about it tomorrow.

Ben Goodger
http://gigaom.com/2008/09/02/why-did-google-abandon-firefox/

Lol - goin' strong! Thanks.

Gil47 said:
Its my understanding that the lead developer of Firefox, now works for Google so similarities may not be a coincident.

Have others noted Suferb has tipped over the 1000 mark in the last hour and is racing on now, 1010

Firefox 2.0 for me. I won't use Google Chrome due to the EULA. Firefox 3 I can't stand because of the rearranged back and forward buttons, along with the HORRIBLE URL bar (awesomebar).