Looking to learn!

Srb88042

Hello,

I am an electrician for a large machine builder www.lancointegrated.net and I am looking to learn to program Allen Bradley PLC’s. I have zero experience programming but a very extensive background in Electrical. We work with studio 5000, Siemens, Omron, Beckhoff. etc. I thought of obtaining my CCNA through Cisco first, and then trying to source some reading material and an Allen Bradley PLC to teach myself programming. How many of you have used the guides here?

Also would a MicroLogix 850 series paired with studio 500 potientally be something I could teach
myself with?

Last edited:
The Micrologix series are the 1100, 1200, 1400, and 1500. They are programmed using RSLogix500.

The Micro800 series are programmed using Connected Components Workbench (CCW).

The ControlLogix and CompactLogix series is programmed using RSLogix5000/Studio5000.

All three products are completely different platforms.

I taught myself using a Micrologix 1400 and RsLogix 500 by watching youtube videos and reading different websites such as this one.

It wasn't very difficult to learn the programming side because logic is logic. But there were some very basic issues that were difficult to figure out because they were so basic that nobody would mention them. Things like how the physical inputs and outputs mapped to the data tables, and setting up IP addresses on the devices to match your computer settings.

When I got a better job and switched over to Studio 5000 from RSLogix 500 it took me another several weeks to wrap my head around the different method of addressing bits. Instead of a data table you just create tags. While this is a better method, for certain, it was different and I had to think on it a bit to understand what was going on.

I would recommend skipping the Micrologix PLCs and go straight into CompactLogix and ControlLogix. They are much more common these days from my limited experience.

I am by no means an expert at this yet, but if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

One of these mad geniuses is bound to know the answer.

You have come to the right place. Most of the members are very helpful and are able to point you to getting you on the right track.

Since I’m more of a troubleshooter than a program writer I’ll let the others here guide you.

Good luck.

Logixpro from http://thelearningpit.com/ is the best tool I have found. You can go through their student exercises too.

This right here.

It 'acts' like Micrologix 500 and has plenty of simulators.

The knowledge gained in ladder programming is transferable to any other PLC. Might as well spend $40 or so and try it than buy an expensive PLC/etc.

That said, sometimes it is best to have actual hardware/software interface experience.

Thanks for the great responses so far. Where can I go to find the absolute basics? Bit vs byte for an example? Or even microprocessing etc?

+1 for Ron's YouTube, although one of its central points does not strictly apply to ControlLogix and CompactLogix.

Another freebie option is this combination:
  • RSLogixEmulate500
  • RSLinxClassix
  • RSLogix Micro Starter Lite
I started there, and in the meantime made $75 and $125 offers for MicroLogix 1100s on eBay until I got one (that worked;)), bought a USB-DB9 RS232 from a local ex-RadioShack and made my own serial cable for the rest of the way. I also needed a 24V power supply since I had the 1763-L16BBB; the 1763-L16[AB]WA is 120V, which is simpler.

* buying the single -PM02 DB9-DIN8 cable online would have been smarter and cheaper, but I was impatient

For bit vs. byte stuff I would try The Google. The help files in RSLogix Lite are not that useful.

Last edited: