Traveling techs: Best traveling tool storage?

Similar to Robobob, I used Tecra cases when I did a lot of traveling.
I prefered the smaller style since my normal tools didn't require a ton of space.
https://tecratools.com/pages/assorted/classic-roller.html
I've had the same one for about 10 years now. You can order replacement parts which is nice since a latch got damaged right after I got it

It also doubles as a chair if needed! Has come in handy at a lot of various places, waiting on shuttles, etc

In the bottom and top I use canvas bags and various organizers for small things. If I knew I needed some specialty tool or supplies that wouldn't fit, i would just put them in my normal checked bag

You won't have to account for space for cordless tools' batteries. You will have to carry those on, since Li-Ion batteries are not allowed in checked luggage. A coworker forgot, and TSA confiscated all his Makita batteries. That was an expensive mistake.

-rpoet

Li-Ion batteries are fine in checked luggage, as long as they're connected to the tool and under 100Wh. IE, you can't check loose batteries. I found a very easy and cheap way around that a while ago and picked up a few USB adapters for my M18 and M12 batteries. They have no issue with that.

They also don't seem to be checking watt hour ratings very well either. I've flown with both my 6ah (108wh) and 8ah (144wh) batteries on separate occasions. Both were connected to my 1/2" drill at the time, no issues. I don't think I would push it and try to take one of my 12Ah batteries though. I've flown with batteries in checked bags a few dozen times now.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. There is some great options that I didn't come across when I was searching for myself.

I think I'm going to order a Pelican Air 1535 and modify it. It's the biggest you can go and still be carry on (should I want to carry on for some reason), plus it's super light, under 9lb.

I think I'm going to order a winged tool pallet from Platt Cases in the lid, then do some Kaizan in the bottom. The case is a little over 5" deep (on the bottom half), so I think I can get 5 layers of 30mm foam in it. I'm thinking half, maybe 2/3 of the bottom will be foam, with the open area being "bulk" that I can throw whatever large tools I may need for that particular job. Impact driver always goes with me, but I don't always take my 1/2" drill (and drill index, etc). That would allow me to pack for the job.