DH+ MSG between two ControlLogix processors

mylespetro

Hey everyone,

I feel like this is an easy question, but I can't seem to find an answer for it. Currently have a PLC-5 that we're swapping out for a ControlLogix and I'm currently making some changes to a program in a different ControlLogix that reads and writes to the PLC-5 over DH+ to reflect the change, but I'm unclear exactly what protocol I should be using. The messages are currently PLC-5 Typed Read/Write, but you can't use CIP protocol over DH+, so I'm wondering what message type I use to communicate between two CLX on DH+?

Thanks in advance!

Figured it out, you need to use the explicit message path. In the PLC-5 Typed Read, it was originally set to "PLC_DHRIO" and then used the fields in the Communication Method to set the Link and Node numbers, but I had to change the path to "1, 3, 3, 10, 1, 0". This was in the manual for the DHRIO card, so it pays to RTFM.

Exposition on the meaning of the "Port, Address" pairs in the CIP Path "1, 3, 3, 10, 1, 0"

On any ControlLogix 1756 module:

Port 1 = 1756 Backplane
Port 2 = Network Port (on DHRIO, Port A)
Port 3 = Network Port (on DHRIO, Port B)

The CIP Paths are just pairs of Port and Address values.

1, 3 From the ControlLogix CPU Port 1 (1756 Backplane) to 1756 chassis Slot 3, where the 1756-DHRIO is located.

3, 10 From the 1756-DHRIO Channel B to DH+ Station 10 (decimal), another 1756-DHRIO

1, 0 From the 1756-DHRIO Port 1 (1756 Backplane) to 1756 Chassis Slot 0 (ControlLogix CPU).

It's my understanding that this is actually transporting a PCCC message ("PLC-5 Typed Read") over CIP, because it's a full ControlLogix to ControlLogix CIP Path. You could also do a "CIP Data Table Read" or "CIP Data Table Write" because the path goes all the way from a ControlLogix to another ControlLogix.

You could probably have also kept the old execution the same, as long as the 1756-DHRIO was configured so that it knows to process DH+ messages by forwarding them to the ControlLogix in Slot 0.

Exposition on the meaning of the "Port, Address" pairs in the CIP Path "1, 3, 3, 10, 1, 0"

On any ControlLogix 1756 module:

Port 1 = 1756 Backplane
Port 2 = Network Port (on DHRIO, Port A)
Port 3 = Network Port (on DHRIO, Port B)

The CIP Paths are just pairs of Port and Address values.

1, 3 From the ControlLogix CPU Port 1 (1756 Backplane) to 1756 chassis Slot 3, where the 1756-DHRIO is located.

3, 10 From the 1756-DHRIO Channel B to DH+ Station 10 (decimal), another 1756-DHRIO

1, 0 From the 1756-DHRIO Port 1 (1756 Backplane) to 1756 Chassis Slot 0 (ControlLogix CPU).

It's my understanding that this is actually transporting a PCCC message ("PLC-5 Typed Read") over CIP, because it's a full ControlLogix to ControlLogix CIP Path. You could also do a "CIP Data Table Read" or "CIP Data Table Write" because the path goes all the way from a ControlLogix to another ControlLogix.

You could probably have also kept the old execution the same, as long as the 1756-DHRIO was configured so that it knows to process DH+ messages by forwarding them to the ControlLogix in Slot 0.

Yes, I just posted about the path format yesterday in another thread. I've actually done CLX to CLX over DH+ (and posted about it here) before, but I guess I just never realized that the explicit path was actually required. Thanks for the info Ken, really appreciate it!