HMI - Issues setting up indirect addressing

BennieC

Hi all,

I'm setting up indirect addressing for the first time using Factory Talk Studio 8.10 and I've run into a problem. Everything I've done looks identical to what is existing,except the indirect number addressing, but the text isn't showing on the page.

Currently there is 20 indirectly addressed list indicators and text boxes per parameter page, I'm looking to expand that to 40. I've assigned the text properties exactly as the previous 20, with different indirect tags, but no text is showing on the page. Using direct addressing everything works normally, is there another step to getting indirect addressing to work?

Thanks

I think you may need to provide much more detail. it has been a few years since I worked with Factory Talk View ME (are you using ME or SE?), but I don't recall it supporting indirect addressing.

I think you may need to provide much more detail. it has been a few years since I worked with Factory Talk View ME (are you using ME or SE?), but I don't recall it supporting indirect addressing.

He's talking about the parameter files.
Where you use #1, #201, etc as variables on screen items/objects and assign actual tags through parameter files.
I recently discovered this feature and I must say, it's a game changer. I was asked to provide functionality to read/change about 6000 tags from a PV+. Took me 2 days after I discovered the feature. Would've taken a whole lot longer doing it manually.

@Bennie, could you provide screenshots of the setup? Text box settings and parameter file?

ive found using parameter tags to be a lot easier

Button Code:
Code:
Display "Screen" T TagAddress
Screen Code:
Code:
{#1.Open}
{#1.Closed}
etc...

post up some info so we can see your issue

ive found using parameter tags to be a lot easier

Button Code:
Code:
Display "Screen" T TagAddress
Screen Code:
Code:
{#1.Open}
{#1.Closed}
etc...

post up some info so we can see your issue

That only works in FTView SE, not ME. While the OP hasn't yet specified which version he/she is using, the "HMI" in the title would probably have me guessing they're using a PanelView Plus with FTView ME.

In ME we're stuck with parameters.

But as you (and others) have said, more information is needed!

That only works in FTView SE, not ME. While the OP hasn't yet specified which version he/she is using, the "HMI" in the title would probably have me guessing they're using a PanelView Plus with FTView ME.

In ME we're stuck with parameters.

But as you (and others) have said, more information is needed!

My bad, misread the post. Thought id seen a post saying they were using SE

I'll take some screenshots on Monday. I found the direct tags were sequential so I ended up doing it the old school way. If they weren't it would have taken ages. Still keen to know how the parameters work

I'll take some screenshots on Monday. I found the direct tags were sequential so I ended up doing it the old school way. If they weren't it would have taken ages. Still keen to know how the parameters work

I'm still a bit of a novice with FTView Studio ME, but I've used parameters a time or two... Hope this helps.

In my example I'm using a single popup display that controls an array of devices, triggered from different pushbuttons [See 'HOA_Device.jpg']

First things first, you need to setup your parameter files [See 'Param.jpg']. You link a parameter number [i.e. #1, #5] to a specific tag or bit in your PLC.

Next, you build your display, and instead of giving tags/bits to objects, you specify a parameter number [See 'PB_Prop.jpg'].

Finally, when you call upon a display you indicate what parameter file you are using for it [See 'GoTo_Disp_Prop.jpg']

Voila! Magic.

HOA_Device.jpg Param.jpg PB_Prop.jpg GoTo_Disp_Prop.jpg

Currently there is 20 indirectly addressed list indicators and text boxes per parameter page, I'm looking to expand that to 40. I've assigned the text properties exactly as the previous 20, with different indirect tags, but no text is showing on the page.
Thanks
Definitely you need to provide some images to be able to tell you what you're forgetting to do.

I'm still a bit of a novice with FTView Studio ME, but I've used parameters a time or two... Hope this helps.

@JasonTheSparky: Good example. In the last image (Goto_Disp_Prop.jpg) it's possible to write a comma-separated list of tags in the field named Parameter list; I use Parameter list when I want to invoke a display from another one previously invoked with Parameter Files. For example, if I have several pump skids, the first screen shows all the instruments and the second one shows the instrument detail.

I suppose you're using FTVME 6 or superior. As far I remember, in version 5 there's no Parameter list field.

@JasonTheSparky: Good example. In the last image (Goto_Disp_Prop.jpg) it's possible to write a comma-separated list of tags in the field named Parameter list; I use Parameter list when I want to invoke a display from another one previously invoked with Parameter Files. For example, if I have several pump skids, the first screen shows all the instruments and the second one shows the instrument detail.

I suppose you're using FTVME 6 or superior. As far I remember, in version 5 there's no Parameter list field.

Thanks! Yes, I am running release number 8.00.00. I havn't used the parameter list feature yet, so I'm not hip to how it works. Could you post a screen shot or two with some explanation? I'm always up for learning something useful!

In the attached image I'm using the Parameter list field (Goto button properties). As you can see, each tag is identified by its position in the list: first tag is parameter #1, the second one is parameter #2 and so on. You can use PLC tags or HMI tags.

The third tag is a little tricky. Let's suppose the actual screen was invoked using a parameter file where parameter #1 = 42. Then the third tag in my parameter list will be pass as tag342 to the next screen.

If the actual screen is invoked with parameter #1 = abc, the third tag in the parameter list will be tag3abc.

parameterlist.png

I do all my indirect addressing for cookie cutter screens in the PLC.
I just use the "Current_Screen" tag to load the appropriate data into cookie cutter screen tags.
I find it easier then writing screen code and easy to change as well.