Micrologix 1400 - Rockwell's first real contender in the brick world.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
While looking in the literature library I saw that it looks like Rockwell has released a new micro, the ML1400. Like the ML1100 it has ethernet and online programming, but it has a decent IO count (20 in 12 out) and expansion up to 7 modules instead of the four module limitation of the ML1100 - RSLoigx500 Version 8.1 is required.

Is Rockwell finally ready go join the brick world?

The 7 expansion module capability would be nice, but does it actually exist? Can't get prices on it locally or at Rockwell's site

Operaghost said:
RSLogix 500 version 8.1 is required. 8.0 is current so it looks like this hasn't been released yet.

OG

And some new software too.

NewSoftware.jpg

HMMM? All kinds of fun stuff.

I wonder if the release of a new programming software package is a harbinger of further future delineation between the SLC500 and MicroLogix line? AB apparently want's to begin legacy-izing the SLC500 family, separating the programming packages could be another fork in the road.

I'm still waiting for a brick with a ControlLogix engine.

I noticed that the date on the product profile is July 2008. The 1400 is still not listed in the Micrologix section of the product directory. I've been looking forward to using one of these since seeing a picture of one at the Automation Fair last November. I just bought a PanelView Component to try out. Looks pretty good so far.

I heard about the 1400 a couple of months ago but couldn't find any info to back up the rumor. The person I spoke with said the 1400 was an upgrade to the 1200 (Ethernet and online edit), and that the 1500 was supposed to get an upgrade as well, possibly 1600?

Cool news..

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
To me it sounds like too many bricks. To have three MicroLogix ranges in the future are two too many if you ask me.
The new CompactLogix CPUs sounds much more interesting.
Maybe they are first of the 4 new controllers Ken mentioned last year: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=203048&postcount=7
Anyone got more information ?

Below is the only thing I can find on it.

It appears the AB guys are worsen to secrecy.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qr/iasimp-qr011_-en-e.pdf

Last edited:
Mickey said:
Below is the only thing I can find on it.

It appears the AB guys are worsen to secrecy.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qr/iasimp-qr011_-en-e.pdf

Only 2 expansion modules! WTH o_O At least with DN support I can add some Beckhoff IO to expand the thing a bit - of course if it were expandable past just two modules I would use AB modules, but Beckhoff field IO is all right.

At least you found something - I searched the literature library and found nothing, the best google did was find this thread.

Last edited:
Alaric said:
Only 2 expansion modules! WTH o_O

That was one of the first things I noticed. Doesn't make much sense. Why the limitation? May be a marketing thing. Like recently when I noticed that the cut-out for the new PV Component 1000 is .6" narrower than the cut-out for the PV+ 1000 which would seem to prevent one from retro-fitting a PV+ with a PV Component.

Well no one swore me to secrecy but perhaps I spoke a little too soon. Alaric will likely see details at CAOTM in Salt Lake. Hey I'm in Salt Lake too this week! Unrelated to CAOTM. I wish I could be there!

I think it's a pretty exciting looking product and definitely fills a gap in RA products in that segment.

OG