Power Flex 525 Control Module

Hi there,

Anyone know if its possible to power up the control module of a PF525 without feeding power(Input voltage) to the drive?

I want to do some parameterization with logix etc.

You can use USB to do this. You don't need to power it up as such, but it will get power from your USB port when you transfer parameters to/from. Unclip the top/control/black part of the drive, and the USB port is located on the back.

Why do you need to know that?

I have 36 of these on a network and I never used one before. To speed things up next week, I'd like to power one up (as I can with a 755). See it on the network, check I can parameterise via the AOP.

Does this suffice?

No, there is no way to power up the Control Module without it being on the Power Module. All Control Modules are the same, then hardware keying tells the CM what size of PM it is plugged into. If it were not plugged into a PM, it would not know what it is for.

The USB port is only for off-line uploading and downloading configuration files and firmware.

On my workbench, I have a .5KVA 480 -> 120VAC control transformer that I power up the secondary with 120. Get 2 phases off the primary to L1 and L2 of the drive to power it up for testing purposes.

On my workbench, I have a .5KVA 480 -> 120VAC control transformer that I power up the secondary with 120. Get 2 phases off the primary to L1 and L2 of the drive to power it up for testing purposes.
By powering up the POWER MODULE that your Control Module is attached to. That would work, but that's not what he asked.

Sounds like you just made a good case to get a 3p supply at your desk for testing purposes.

Well to be fair, cncsparky’s method WOULD work because the PM does not need all 3 phases to just power up the CM. The 520 series don’t have direct phase loss trip*, so they can all run from a single phase input. The problem with this method is that if you have a 1HP drive on your desk and power it through a transformer as he said, when you go to program that CM, it will allow programming for a 1HP drive. If your drive in the field is anything other than that, physically the CM is identical, but the moment you plug it is, you will get an error because it sees that it is not plugged into a 1HP Power Module, and I don’t think you can reprogram it in the field with that error present (I might be wrong on that last part though).

Write your programming with CCW at the bench and load it into your CM using the USB port, that can all be done without being connected to a PM. Then take the CM to your drive in the field and swap out the CM that is there. Easy peasy.

*The 520 series does detect phase loss, but does it indirectly by monitoring DC bus ripple. So with no load on at the bench, there is virtually no ripple and the CM will power up fine.

Last edited:
***THIS IS USED ON AN EATON SVX9000***

We back feed the terminal block with control power (24vDC in this case). - goes to the I/O Ground (or COM) and + goes to the 24vDC out.

This will power up the drive so we can set parameters, flash code to it, set IPs, etc. without have 3ph power on it.

Don't know if it will work on a PF525 and I don't have one handy to test.

***THIS IS USED ON AN EATON SVX9000***

We back feed the terminal block with control power (24vDC in this case). - goes to the I/O Ground (or COM) and + goes to the 24vDC out.

This will power up the drive so we can set parameters, flash code to it, set IPs, etc. without have 3ph power on it.

Don't know if it will work on a PF525 and I don't have one handy to test.
No. You can use an external +24VDC source to power the Safety and I/O circuits, but to do that, you must isolate it from the on-board +24VDC terminal.

You can do this by the way on a PowerFlex 750 series, which is what would compare to the SVX Eaton drives. But the 525 is a "Component Class" drive, it doesn't have all of the same capabilities of the "Architecture Class" drives.

Besides, again, powering up a PF525 Control Module when disconnected from a Power Module can't work, because the CM needs to READ the PM coding to know what it's connected to... Same problem with powering it via a unit on your desk. If it's not the EXACT same unit you want to use, you will get a fault as soon as you plug it in to the field unit.