Need Example of Block Transfer Program

Snide

Does anyone have a sample of a Block Transfer program for a Slc-500 C series Allen Bradly plc?? I would like to look at an example of how to write a program using Block Transfers. I'm reading a lot about BT's (ab online website) and maybe it would help if I seen it in a program. I have remote I/O and I need to do some BTR's and I think I understand how the BT's work but, I want to look at an example of one to better understand. thank you, ~Snid

The processor type is printed at the top front edge of the processor module. The part number will reveal it also (1747-L5x2 where the x is 3, 4, or 5).

instant replay from this post:

... if it’s a project, then I suggest that you post a list of the exact model numbers, etc. of the equipment involved ... the more we know about your system, the more detailed help we can give you ...

hint: if you post that list, try to include every conceivable number available ... in many cases, they are ALL important ...

be careful! ... you're starting to sound like a troll ... in other words, you're posting the very same question in multiple threads ... you show no signs of following the advice you've already been given ... and you show no signs of doing any work to help yourself - other than posting repeated requests for help ...

yes ... we can help ... but we need information in order to do it right ...

you can read all about BTR and BTW for the SLC-5/05 in Chapter 8 of this manual ... pages 8-9 and 8-10 show example rungs which should get you started ... for anything beyond that, we're probably going to need more information ...

I have read the BT rules and I understand the idea of how they work, but i don't feel confident. What I’m working on …I have some liquid tanks with a Level transmitter and a level switch I am sending the data remotely. I have an existing program for their tanks and they didn’t use BT’s they used copy and moves, I was told not to do that. When I try to trace back their data it takes me to an N file then I try to find where data in the N file comes from and I get stopped there. I do a search in the existing program for the N file and it is only used in one spot. I’m confused on getting data from the sensors and then sending it remotely.

the sensors I’m using…

***Magnetrol eclipse guided wave radar level transmitter

MAGNETROL ECLIPSE TRANSMITTER MODEL 705-511A-110, PROBE 2 WIRE MODEL 7EB-A530-130

LEVEL SCALING 4MA-20MA

**a level switch…
Ametek Drexelbrook Level Probes Outdoor Tank Farm - Overfill Protection Model #PML1-3000-A1BF-GIDU

it is a plc 5/05

then we are using the PanelBuiler32 for the HMI.
I have alreay wrote the math for figuring out the volume of the tanks etc. I'm just having trouble with addressing the remote I/O. I'm new to plc's and i've never wrote any BTR's or BTW's. Also, i was told that i only need BTR's that are directional continuous.

is there anything else i should tell you??

Chances are the COPy and MOVes you saw in another program were manipulating the M0 and M1 files to accomplish a block transfer. This is the required method when using older SLC firmware/processors. That's the reason I asked which model you have. Your 5/05 processor should support the block transfer instructions BTR and BTW. Who ever told you not to use the COPy and MOVe method was correct in doing so. That method is very confusing and difficult to follow. Using BTR and BTW is much cleaner and easier to troubleshoot. Now...before we can help you create the block transfers for your machine, we need the I/O configuration. Most likely, the level transmitter is connected to an analog input module located in a remote rack. Find the exact part number for it (the analog module). Find out which slot it's in. Find out the signals that go to all of its channels. Then you can build a block transfer pair that will correctly configure the module and read its data.

I'm just having trouble with addressing the remote I/O. I'm new to plc's and i've never wrote any BTR's or BTW's. Also, i was told that i only need BTR's that are directional continuous.

I’ll assume (gosh I hate that word) that you’re using a 1747-SN scanner module for the PLC-end of your remote I/O communications ... if so, then Appendix C of this manual contains a worksheet which will help you diagram the addresses ... (it might help to note that a “RACK” is defined as “8 words of inputs AND 8 words of outputs”) ... when the scanner is first installed in your chassis, it sets aside 32 words in the input table and 32 words in the output table ... there are 16 bits in each word ...

now ... unfortunately some devices require more communication bandwidth than the amount which can be accommodated with the Rack/Group/Slot addressing shown in the manual I linked above ... also other types of devices (particularly those from non-Allen-Bradley manufacturers) can’t use the native Rack/Group/Slot addressing scheme ... so those two types of devices must be communicated with by means of Block Transfers ...

if you’re having trouble with the N-type (integer) addresses, then I’ll assume (I still hate that word) that your existing program uses the type of “block transfer” programming which is shown in Appendix D of that same manual that I linked above ... that appendix is titled “Block Transfer Examples for Earlier Processors” ... are these the types of rungs that you’re seeing in your program? ...

is there anything else i should tell you??

well ... if we had that complete list of your hardware - and the order in which you have the parts plugged together, then we could help you nail down the exact addresses of your equipment ... if you need that level of help, then we need that level of information ... remember, we can’t see your system ... we only know what you tell us ...

finally ... if it doesn’t contain any proprietary (trade secret) type stuff, then you might consider posting a copy of your .RSS program file ... it all depends on how much help you need ...

I hope this helps ... good luck with your project ...

PS edit ... and incidentally ... if the “remote” chassis at the far end of your Remote I/O link has a 1747-ASB Remote I/O Adapter, then Appendix C in this manual has a worksheet that might help with the I/O addressing ... if you need help with that piece of the puzzle, then I strongly recommend that you post the current DIP switch settings on the adapter so that we can help you ... those settings can be quite confusing ... unfortunately you’ll have to shut down the system and remove the module to see the DIP switches ... but that still might be necessary in the long run ...

Last edited:
I have two remote panels...panel one arrangement...
Power Supply,
universal I/O adapter-1747-asb,
4 point analog input module-1746-ni4,
empty slot fillers 1746-n2,
8 point 120vac digital input module-1746-ia8,
in that order...i have another panel with the same remote i/o setup. I forgot the other one that's not remote...
three (slot 1,2 and 3)1746 IA16,
two (slot 4 and 5) 1746 OA16,
empty slot (6),
two (slot 7 and 8) 1746SC INI4
then Slot (9) 1747 SN

the signal for the sensors is 4 to 20 mA.

Last edited:
we’re getting closer ... but we’ve still got a LONG way to go ...

you still haven’t told us whether you have the software available or not ... if you do, try to get to this screen ...

snide1.JPG

that should take you to this screen

snide2.JPG

tell us how this one is set up (or better yet post a picture) ... then do what OkiePC suggested ... nail down exactly which module your sensor is wired to ... in exactly which chassis ... and then tell us how the DIP switches are set on the 1747-ASB adapter in that particular chassis ... once we’ve got that information, then we’re a lot closer to being able to write the BTs that you’re asking for ...

good luck ... offline until tomorrow ...

tip: ... if someone else comes along to help, it would be a good idea to say “thank you” once in awhile ... most people are a lot more sensitive about things like that than I am ...

Sorry, my first post said Thank you in it, maybe you didn't see it. I am thankful for everyone's help.

I have in my G file...Logical rack 0
Group0 Device #1 3/4 rack I/O words 0 & 1
2 & 3
4 & 5
Logical rack 1
Group 2 Device #2 3/4 rack I/O words 10 & 11
12 & 13
14 & 15
logical rack 2
Group 3 Device #3 1/2 rack I/O words 16 & 17
18 & 19

Dip switch settings...
SW1
1 Off
2 Off
3 Off
4 Off
5 On
6 Off
7 Off
8 Off

SW1
1 On
2 On
3 On
4 On
5 On
6 On
7 Off
8 On

SW1
1 Off
2 on
3 off
4 on
5 off
6 on
7 off
8 on

the level transmitter is wired to module 1746 NI4 and the Level switch is wired to 1746 IA8.

Oh, i'm not sure if you need to know...i have 8 Level transmitters and 8 level switches and 4 of each go in each remote i/o panel. they call one chassis Rack 2 cards 4-7 / Rack 3 cards 0-1,
in the other remote I/o chassis it is called Rack 3 cards 2-7. I'm not sure if i have given you all the information you need to know. please let me know if you need more.

Thank you ~snide

Last edited:
Another question I have. Why would you split a rack and name it different like I mentioned yesterday. I have a chassis Rack 2 cards 3-7/Rack 3 cards 0-1. Why would you want to divide the rack up like that? Is this a common procedure?

Also, I have still been working on my BTR's and not getting anywhere. Thanks for the information I you have given me so far. I feel everything is a big help. I think I need a class on PLC’s.