Siemens 505 handshaking

RoTaTech

Good day - I have scoured the forum to no avail.

I have a Siemens 555-1106 rack with a remote base on RS485. It does not currently, but will be using Profibus for some of its outputs. It currently has a 2572 comm card available.

My intent is to separate the remote base to have its own CPU - a 555-1103 or perhaps 1106.

Question: What is a straight-forward way to have the two exchange a few bits of data: Ready_to_run, Fault, et cetera -- fewer than 16 bits.

I could use hard-wired IO, but thought there must be a more elegant way ...

Hello

Why Would you disconnect the remote base from the existing 1106 and add a cpu to that base?
Means that you have to write a seperate programm for the I/O in that remote base and buy a second hand 1103/1106 cpu because they are new not availible anymore.

Has the 1106 not enough memory to handle the existing programm?

When you want to stay to TI then an option could also be to replace the existing 1106 with a CTI 2500-C400 cpu because it has far more memory then the 1106 and you don,t have to make any programm changes.

Are you using workshop/Softshop or APT?

Take also a look at CTI,s website for the options
http://www.controltechnology.com/

This ofcourse if you want to stay to the TI concept.

Kind regards
Henny

Back in the day, you would have used TI-Way, but that is not a valid option anymore. The newer comm cards support open sockets, so you could write a bucket full of logic and send a message that way, but it is lot of work for very little return.

What I have done in the past, is use a Red-Lion Data Station. Just map PLC-1 data register to PLC-2 data register. You save enough on engineering to cover the cost. Plus you can send as much data as you need.

If you have the hardware and are dead set on separating them, you can have a 2572 in each rack and pass data between them. The CTI manual has examples on how to do it.