Licensing of Factorytalk view SE

rejoe.koshy

Hey Guys,
I am pretty new to FTV SE so I need a little assistance in understanding the licensing part of it.
When I open FTV studio it gives a popup message saying the HMI server is in grace mode, but it works absolutely fine without any interruptions.I went through several documents only to realise that studio, server, client licenses are available but then if

1. the software works without any limitations why should it have a license in the first place.

2.Moreover I have also launched a client with 25 displays , which also seem to function fine.

I have no idea about the role which licenses play.I am told that licenses are required for studio, server and client but could not figure out the limitations their absence impose.

Pls help.

Without a license, it will only work during the grace period (I think this is a week, but the popup should say exactly how long the grace period is.) Then it will not work without a license.

The Studio license is for editing the FTView SE project. If you want to create or edit projects then you will need this license.

The Client, Server and Station licenses may or may not be needed, depending on how you want to set up your system. As far as I remember, I've only used the Station licenses and Studio licenses. I used the Studio license on my laptop to create/edit the project, and the Station license on my customer's system to actually run the HMI.

This link may help:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...factorytalk-view-se.page#ordering-information

Just a heads up, your local Rockwell distributor may be able to get you a 30-day demo for FactoryTalk View SE Studio that has full functionality. Otherwise, you will find that after a certain time period, you won't be able to use the software, like A_G said.

Without a license, it will only work during the grace period (I think this is a week, but the popup should say exactly how long the grace period is.) Then it will not work without a license.

The Studio license is for editing the FTView SE project. If you want to create or edit projects then you will need this license.

The Client, Server and Station licenses may or may not be needed, depending on how you want to set up your system. As far as I remember, I've only used the Station licenses and Studio licenses. I used the Studio license on my laptop to create/edit the project, and the Station license on my customer's system to actually run the HMI.

This link may help:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...factorytalk-view-se.page#ordering-information

I have been using studio for 4 weeks now but still the software opens and works normally. The message that I get each time pertains to HMI server and not studio.

But I noticed something very unusual when the SE client opened .Down in the diagnostic messages bar , a message appeared which says "Acquired a licence key, allowing full functionality":p:p...I mean ..no licences , my factory talk activation manager shows nothing so how is it detecting a key?? and key is for which piece of software?? I am at my wits end, over to you experts!!!o_O

BTW I am using Ftv SE station

You are describing something *very* unusual.

I've never seen a FactoryTalk product that did not require a license. Did you get this software from your distributor, or acquire it through some other channel ?

Examine your FactoryTalk Activation Manager more closely. On the "Manage Activations" tab, do any activations show up at all ?

The FactoryTalk Diagnostics Viewer will show you all the actions that the FT subsystem is taking with regard to activations, in some detail. Open it from the Start -> Rockwell Software folder, and look for the details when each software product starts up. You should see "FactoryTalk Activation" in the "Provider" column when an activation is checked out from an activation server.

You are describing something *very* unusual.

I've never seen a FactoryTalk product that did not require a license. Did you get this software from your distributor, or acquire it through some other channel ?

Examine your FactoryTalk Activation Manager more closely. On the "Manage Activations" tab, do any activations show up at all ?

The FactoryTalk Diagnostics Viewer will show you all the actions that the FT subsystem is taking with regard to activations, in some detail. Open it from the Start -> Rockwell Software folder, and look for the details when each software product starts up. You should see "FactoryTalk Activation" in the "Provider" column when an activation is checked out from an activation server.

Ok.I checked out the diagnostics viewer and found that the message "HMI server is running in grace mode" once and another time it showed that the product has not been successfully activated and is in grace mode.

I examined the factorytalk activation manager "manage activations" tab ..the license shows up but in the total and in use columns it shows N/A...

I have a FTV SE Station licence ..so will the license be valid for studio, server and client or i need to procure separate licenses for all products individually.??

Ok.I checked out the diagnostics viewer and found that the message "HMI server is running in grace mode" once and another time it showed that the product has not been successfully activated and is in grace mode.

I examined the factorytalk activation manager "manage activations" tab ..the license shows up but in the total and in use columns it shows N/A...

I have a FTV SE Station licence ..so will the license be valid for studio, server and client or i need to procure separate licenses for all products individually.??

Just one small correction.."HMI server is running in grace mode" has been provided by factorytalk studio and the other one by factorytalk activation manager