Panelview tags for a PLC5 Conversion to Controllogix using 1771 IO

kswanger

Hi all,

I have used your forum a lot in the past for helpful hints, but I could not find anything on this question.

I have a project where I am converting a PLC5 to a Controllogix PLC and then using a 1756 RIO to communicate with the existing 1771-IO. I know there are multiple topics on this, but my question is what is the best method for this so that I do not have to rename all of the HMI tags (over 1000)

Once I map my tags through RIO in Controllogix I have tag names such as PLC5_I001.0 instead of I:1/0. The only method I can think of for changing these names would be to export them into a spreadsheet from the HMI and change them that way. And then re-alias them to their correct tags in the PLC program as well. So that whatever was mapped to I[1].0 becomes an alias for PLC5_I001.0 instead. Is there a better method that I am not thinking of?

Any ideas that you may have are much appreciated.

Export the tags to CSV and change them in Excel; you have the right idea.

I'm pretty sure that any PLC to ControlLogix conversion = new tag names
If the changes are all the same, you should be able to do that very quickly (<10 minutes).
Ex. search & replace all
"/" with "."
"I:" with "PLC5_I00"