AB PLC5 to panleview plus 1500 using 2711P-RN6

ahmsgrz

I am trying to connect PLC5/30 to panelviewplus 1500 with 2711P/RN6 on DH+.

I am plannig to load the program to Panelview on ethernet. Then I need the panel viewplus to communicate with PLC5 on DH+. I have configured a runtime target on factory talk view studio for DH+ driver with station number = 0, jumper ID = 0, baud = 576000. then added a PLC 1785-L30A, PLC-5/30A processor with address 44.

when i tried this, the HMI shows error saying ' No acknowledgment reading I/OO::0 from PLC at station 44 on driver DH+'. I get the same with all tags. Also i do not get to do online browse to PLC tags on factory talk view tag browser

I am new to AB systems. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

When dealing with DH+ addresses, be aware that in the PLC-5 they are shown in octal on the Channel Properties dialog in RS-Logix 5. I would make sure the FT-View setup is also specifying the DH+ address in octal, which it could be doing as expected. Also, the baud would be 57600 if the channel properties is showing 57.6K.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

It could be a problem with your configuration, with your wiring, or with your addressing.

I think the LED on the 2711P-RN6 should give you a solid green light when you have good DH+ signal and a non-duplicate node address.

Can you communicate with / browse that PLC-5 from any other network route or connection ?

I would try creating a test program that reads nothing but N7:0 out of the PLC-5. I VERY strongly recommend against reading I/O addresses directly, if you can avoid it.

"I/OO::0" is either a typo in the post, or an indication of incorrect syntax in the FTView Studio application. If you can give examples of the actual syntax you are using that may help. The use of colons in PLC/SLC data table addressing requires some careful syntax in FTView.

Last edited:
The LED on 2711P-RN6 shows a solid green. I donot have a terminating resistor on the 2711P-RN6 side, can this be the issue?

I tried a simple test code, but the FTview is not able to browse the tags. The online folder for PLC in the tag browser is empty.

I am able to download and go online on PLC5 on DH+ from my computer using 1784 PCMK card

I also verified for addresses in octal and decimal

DH+ is very robust and will often run very well without the proper terminating resistors. That does not mean you should not follow the standard DH+ cabling and termination rules. A solid green DH+ LED suggests that the nodes are "passing the token" and that the network signal is good enough for testing.

Browsing "online tags" in the PLC-5 is difficult with the system you are using, because of the difference in capabilities between RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise. I can explain the issues in detail if you wish, but I recommend just accepting that you should type your Direct Reference and HMI Tag data table addresses in by hand.

I recommend again creating a simple application with nothing more than a reference to an Integer data table element, like N7:0.

Once you have used that to verify that your physical connection and driver configuration is OK, you can move on to troubleshooting other issues.

My recollection of the syntax for a direct reference to a PLC-5 integer is

{ :: [Shortcut] N7:0 }

The curly brackets designate that it's a direct reference, and the double-colon before the shortcut is an "escape" that tells RSLinx Enterprise that the upcoming address contains a PLC/SLC style data table address with a colon in it, rather than an FactoryTalk View style "Area:Tag" designation.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Ken. You are right. Browsing online tag was difficult with PLC5. As you recommended, Manually typing in with correct syntax got the system working. Thank you very much for the help.