FactoryTalk Historian. Anyone with Experience?

EXOxAL13N

New to the factorytalk historian. Can't seem to get it running... I seem to have a connection issue with my server I created on a virtual PC. Anyone have any experience with Historian that may be able to help me get this started?

I've looked online and haven't found anything near a tutorial. If you have any links or anything it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Nope, I haven't been able to see anything. I am trying to figure out if my Server settings are correct. Every time I attempt any sort of connection I keep getting an error or failed to connect message.

Take a look at the message log in PISDK, it should give you some clues as to any issues you might be having. Also in PISDK, you should be able to see a list of connections, and add your Historian server if it isn't there. You don't need that for trending, but it is useful to see it there.

When you say you have a connection issue with the server, what do you mean?

When I try to add my server I get a connection failed message. I'm going to call the tech support again and get them to help me. I believe I am just overlooking a setting somewhere... any tips on how to get started with historian? what kind of things do you use it for?

We use it for trending in our FTView SE environment.

The RSLinx Enterprise servers have the data topics defined, and each host a FactoryTalk Live Data interface. The Historian server has a trust for the FTLD Interface (application FTLDE), that allows the live data interfaces to connect. Tags are set up to the point sources defined in the interfaces, they have their location 1 pointed to the interface id.

It's basically rebranded OSI PI. They have an entire channel of training material on Youtube.

It's not clear what you are having problem with. Is it getting data to it or getting data out?

I wasn't getting data in or out. I ended up calling tech support and having them do their thing. Something happened with the original install. They blamed it on multiple users downloading the software components (since there are 2 of us working on this project) and that somehow Historian didn't like that and somehow created an issue where it wouldn't register that it was the server. I was told to format my server and retry the download. So far I haven't been having an issue, but I haven't gotten too far into it just yet. (note: I am extremely new to this so I apologize for any inconvenience in terminology)