Compact Logix USB port

fredjohns

I wanted to try and use the USB port on our Compact Logix PLC (1769-L16ER-BB1B) From what I had read, if i plugged the usb cable into the plc and then into my laptop, the driver for the usb would be installed but that didnt happen for me. The driver never showed up. If I looked in the device manager for the laptop, I see the PLC in there but it says there is no driver for it.

What do i need to do get get the USB driver installed. Any help will be appreciated.

I installed the virtual backplane USB driver but it did not help. There was no indication that it knew the USB cable was plugged in and it did not connect to the PLC

Also what operating system are you using as I have had problems with
Windows 7 64 bit but it worked OK on 32 bit.
Do you have a virtuel machine that you can use? as this is how I got around my connection problem.

Alan

Were you successful in connecting this way? I remember a few years back we had 2 different types of rslinx installed (OEM and Profesional I think, or possibly standard) and one had the capability to go over usb and the other didn't. I'm not sure if this has changed though.

We purchased the trainer new. We have contacted them and we had already tried everything they suggested. I am not by the trainer right now but so far things are looking like there is a problem with the RSLinx. I have tried unplugging and plugging in the USB cable a few times with no luck. We also have had no luck connecting using the ethernet connector on the trainer and the laptop. My next step when i am back over by the laptop and trainer is to see exaxtly what version of RSLinx they actually installed on the laptop.

Once I know for sure what version of RSLinx we have installed I will report back. I appreciate the help that everyone has giving so far.

Find the following folders to see if the USB CIP drivers exist:

For 32-bit OS:
C:\Program Files\Rockwell Automation\Rockwell Automation USBCIP Driver Package\UsbCipDriver

For 64-bit OS:
C:\Program Files(x86)\Rockwell Automation\UsbCipDriver

Note: With RSLinx Classic 3.90.00 on 64-bit operating systems, the UsbCipDriver folder is found at C:\Program Files\Rockwell Automation\UsbCipDriver

wee hint from Rockwell.....

If not, then re-install drivers from RSLinx