Help setting up a DeviceNet network

mrd49

Hello all
I have a controllogix PLC with a 1756-DNB devicenet scanner module in it and I am trying to set up a devicenet network for the first time. I am having trouble finding and adding devices to the network. Here is the status so far:

*I did get a point IO device to work on the network and was able to control its outputs from the PLC, so I believe that the wiring is done correctly. I have a flat kwiklink cable as the trunk with terminating resistors at each end. The resistance between CAN+ and - is 61 ohms, so both of the resistors are attached correctly (I measured with all of the devices disconnected)

*When I try to add a rightsight photoswitch (it's all software configured, no DIP switches anything to set the address or speed) I can not see it when I do a scan in rsnetworx or rslinx. The network status LED on the photoswitch blinks green. I've tried an identical photoswitch, switched the drop cable, installed a new connector on the trunk line, and even switched the scanner module with a spare one.
I also have tried connecting 2 different proximity switches and a limit switch. None of these changes has made any of these devices except the point IO device show up on the network. I've tried disconnecting the point IO so that nothing else is on the network and the scanner was still unable to find anything else.

Voltages I measured:
power - 23.9v
CAN- to gnd: 2.3v
CAN+ to gnd: 3.5v

One last thing: I do have 2 point IO devices and they both work. What could be special about these that lets them work?

Is one of the existing devices on the network have the node number 63? If so, then change that devices address before adding the new device. When a device is setup through software it's default address is 63. You must commission a new address before adding another on the network. Typically if it is a large network I will setup a desktop station and pre-configure the devices that are assigned the node addresses without dip switches. This makes it much easier.

Darren

I removed all other devices on the network except the scanner though. Its address is 00. I tried switching it to 01 to see if somehow the sensors had ben switched to 00, but that didn't work. I know that the default is 63 and I tried manually creating a device at that address with the correct EDS, but the scanner was unable to connect.
Oh, also, I am connecting to the network through the ethernet ip module in the plc, so there is no direct devicenet interface.

This network is for classroom use, so I can change whatever I want without any real effects.

I agree, it should be straightforward to browse through the 1756-DNB to the network. You already checked the most important items; proper termination and proper power. Bonus points if the power supply is approved for DeviceNet use and is not connected to anything but the network.

A software glitch I've run into is that the RSLinx driver can get messed up when bridging across Logix to DeviceNet. Shut down RSLinx, delete the harmony.rsh and harmony.hrc files in the RSLinx program directory, then restart RSLinx.

It's possible for AutoBaud to be disabled in the RightSight photoeyes, so reduce your network to the scanner and one photoeye, and try browsing at each data rate. Use the little black button on the 1756-DNB (series A and B) or the rotary switch (Series C) to set the scanner's data rate. The black button is dual-purpose; when the DNet power is on, it selects the node number. When the power is off, it selects the data rate.

I think the power supply is made by AB. Not sure if it's ODVA certified though. It is also providing auxiliary to a few robot controllers and some other small things but I figured that probably wouldn't cause a complete failure of the network like this. I can easily put in a second power supply tomorrow if this really could be an issue.
To my knowledge, the photoeyes have never been used before so I highly doubt that autobaud is disabled. I did try changing the baud rate a bit today, but I forget if I isolated the devices on the network.
The corrupted PC settings idea sounds much more likely to me. I have noticed that RSLinx has been acting strangely. For example, sometimes the network scan takes over a minute and other times it is done in 5 seconds. Also, it doesn't display that it scans each address in the progress window and sometimes goes out of numerical order. Is this normal?
Are there any other files like the ones mentioned above that might be causing issues?

Thank you all for your quick replies.

Apparently there are cables here that look exactly like devicenet cables, but do not have all 5 pins. I think the ones that I was were for an armorblock because they only have 4 pins instead of 5. I switched to a correct cable and now everything works well.