Loaded RSLogix 5000 Program

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey Guys,

I have to load a program onto a new compact logix L32E Processor and swap it out with the existing processor (L35E). I do not want to bring the plant down for longer than 10 minutes. I would like to preload the "UV Disinfection" program onto the new processor and have it ready to go so I can just swap them out quickly with only 10 minutes of downtime. Of course, before I do this I have a few questions regarding the methods to do this.

1.) The company I'm doing this for does not have a Laptop with RSLogix 5000 on it, rather they have an HMI desktop with dual ethernet cards. This HMI computer has RSLogix 5000 on it as well as RSLinx and the HMI software. Am I Able to use the ethernet card on the HMI desktop used for the PLC network and plug it directly into the new processor's ethernet port and connect to it via ethernet IP driver on RSLinx? I realize I would lose the HMI connection to the PLC but that wouldn't be an issue as long as I limited the time it was disconnected .

2.) Would I need a minimum of the compact logix power supply and the processor connected together and powered up in order to load a program onto the processor? I wouldn't need to have the processor plugged into the existing rack in order to accomplish this would I?

3.) If the new processor is a L32E and the existing one is a L35E, are they compatible? seems like the only difference is memory. When I looked at the existing processor (L35E) it's not using even close to the 750 KB memory that's limited by the L32E.

Thanks in advance,

Tex

1. Should work provided the new processor has the new program installed. The only concern would be any data in the tag database that has changed between the time that the last upload was performed and the download to the new processor.

2. Yes, you don't need to be in the existing rack. This step would be best offline because 10 minutes is awfully tight to bring a new processor online. The act of downloading the firmware can take a bit of time. The program will download very quickly.

3. Because you'll have to do this anyways, take a copy of the program and change the processor to the new one and re-compile. If there are faults, there will be an explanation.

How much I/O? IIRC, the 1769-32E supports fewer cards than the 1769-L35E.

1) leave the existing setup intact and running
2) without connecting the unit to the existing setup's network, verify firmware and IP address
3) upload from the running processor all current tag values
4) download the program to the replacement processor, leave it in PROGRAM mode
5) power off the original, swap processors, boot the replacement, place in RUN mode

Downtime should be less than 1 minute. Also, no reconfiguration should be necessary on any HMIs.

Last edited:
>1769-32E supports fewer cards than the 1769-L35E

Correct; the L35E supports 30 I/O modules, while the L32E supports 16.

I will add a detail to JeremyM's Step 2:

The IP address of the CompactLogix is stored in the Ethernet daughtercard, separately from the user program itself. You have to set it up using RSLinx, just like you would a 1756-ENBT module.

One easy way to configure the IP address without risking a conflict on your automation network (and avoiding the potential hassles of determining an unknown IP) is to connect to the 1769-L32E with an ordinary RS-232 null modem cable (1756-CP3 or 1747-CP3, if you have one) and use the DF1 Full Duplex driver to "drill down" to the Ethernet module and set it up for an unused IP address.

Then you can safely connect the new controller to the automation network and do a firmware download (if necessary) and quickly do the upload-from-L35/download-to-L32 process before installing the new CPU and setting its IP address to the same value as the old CPU.

Thanks for the help, I believe there is only 10 I/O modules total with a Prosoft comms card to shake hands with the Schneider PLC. I'm guessing the firmware of the new L32E processor has to match that of the existing L35E processor in order to be compatible with the "UV Disinfection" program?

Forgive my inexperience but where and how do I download the Firmware from in the event that the processors firmware does not match?

In general you will want the new controller's firmware to match that of the old controller.

The firmware utility is called ControlFlash. Sometimes it's "kitted" so that when you install a new copy of ControlFlash the firmware files are installed with it, and sometimes it's distributed as a "package" file with a .DMK file extension.

You get firmware from the Rockwell "Product Compatibility and Downloads" website. Use "1769-L32E" as your search term.

In general you need both an account on the website (free) and a TechConnect support contract (not free) to download controller firmware.

I just downloaded the firmware for the 1769-L32E version 20.019, and it came as a *.DMK package file. I recommend using the "Managed Download" because it will put it into an easy-to-find directory and it won't mess up the file extension like the ordinary Chrome download will.

If you think you might need technical support from the US, I recommend delaying until at least Friday, maybe next week. Americans celebrate Thanksgiving on a different day, and tomorrow most of us will be watching football and arguing with our families.