ArchestrA symbols using Wonderware InTouch only

mosama

Hi all,

I created InTouchViewApp in ArchestrA IDE, just to use ArchestrA symbols. I want to convert this manged application to standalone so it can work independent of ArchetrA using only InTouch.

Is that applicable?

Hi all,

I created InTouchViewApp in ArchestrA IDE, just to use ArchestrA symbols. I want to convert this manged application to standalone so it can work independent of ArchetrA using only InTouch.

Is that applicable?
Is this possible, yes.

You wouldn't be able to use the ArchestrA graphics in a standalone app.
Are you sure on that Oakley? You cannot use Galaxy objects, but graphics can, with limitations of course...

Oakley is right all the references will look at the Galaxy, which would not be p[art of the stand alone system.
You would need to relink attributes to achieve this. In essence you can use the Graphics in a manual copy paste fashion.

But would need to redo all the intellegence and linking on them.

You can use standard Archestra graphics in classic Intouch. The attributes that are exposed are the same, or at least similar to what Intouch tags have.
Yes, there is the manual function of assigning each tag & dotfield to the attributes, but it can still be done.
Where System Platform & Archestra objects stand out is that once the graphic is created & linked to a tag & its attributes, then it is only creating a new instance, rather than the manual copy/paste/replace function.

Even though it does not have a Galaxy, it can still be standalone, but must me created from the IDE. (I think)

Archestra

We use this a lot, not because we like Archestra but because
people using in-touch think it is the next best step
Archestra is so problematic when they realize how bad it really is but they have to much money wrapped up in it by then.
With the issues of deploy and re-deploy what a hassle.
If possible dump in-touch and get a HMI that was not a Mon and
Pop system. We even had the reps from Blunderware visit
our office to give us a free seminar on how to use Archestra
because they were tired of all the support calls from people
who were trying to use standard HMI development methods
Good luck

We migrated from an InTouch based system to an ArchestrA based system.
Awesome.

You have to engineer it correctly, or you will have lots of issues.

We migrated from an InTouch based system to an ArchestrA based system.
Awesome.

You have to engineer it correctly, or you will have lots of issues.

I agree with Oakley, The problems i see are the fact that there is just so much customizing one can do and developers normally hang themselves.

But if designed correctly i dont think there is another SCADA/HMI package that comes close. I have developed in Intouch, WinCC, Citect, Zenon and a couple others. The object orientated ArchestrA model is by far my favourite.

Last edited:
ArchestrA graphic in non-managed InTouch app?

You can use standard Archestra graphics in classic Intouch. The attributes that are exposed are the same, or at least similar to what Intouch tags have.
Yes, there is the manual function of assigning each tag & dotfield to the attributes, but it can still be done.

Sorry to dredge up this older thread, but I have a question.

We have an existing, standalong 10.1 InTouch app that I've been editing. Not being familiar with ArchestrA, I used it to design a graphic with two reference tags for animation.

After finishing up the design, I tried to get it into my InTouch app and then read the documentation, which basically says that I can't use ArchestrA graphics in a non-managed app.

Is there a way to manually export / import my new graphic into InTouch? I can't seem to find a way. I'd rather not have to redraw the graphic in a different program, but I will have to unless I can figure out how to do this.

Thanks!

Firstly you should start a new thread.

Explain a bit more in regard to your development. Do you now use objects with these graphics you have created? How does you referencing work to get the data from the PLC/controller?

Is there a way to manually export / import my new graphic into InTouch? I can't seem to find a way. I'd rather not have to redraw the graphic in a different program, but I will have to unless I can figure out how to do this.

I don't believe there is a way to do what you want. You will have to either convert the application to a managed app. or recreate the graphics in legacy Intouch.

You can convert the app. to managed, use your new graphics, and then "Publish" the application. "Publishing" gives you a standalone version of a managed application. You can't edit ArchestrA embedded graphics within a published application but you can edit the managed app. within IDE and publish again.

Firstly you should start a new thread.

Sorry. I believed it was appropriate subject material to this existing thread and didn't want to start a new one unless necessary.

Explain a bit more in regard to your development. Do you now use objects with these graphics you have created? How does you referencing work to get the data from the PLC/controller?

I basically just used the ArchestrA IDE as a graphic editor as it was there and had motors and piping that were necessary for me to draw the industrial device that I needed. I only drew one device which had two minor animations. Since I had never used ArchestrA before, I added two reference tags to be used to enable the animations, but didn't associate them with any PLC variables, as I believed that would be done in InTouch, similar to using a SmartSymbol.

I don't believe there is a way to do what you want. You will have to either convert the application to a managed app. or recreate the graphics in legacy Intouch.

You can convert the app. to managed, use your new graphics, and then "Publish" the application. "Publishing" gives you a standalone version of a managed application. You can't edit ArchestrA embedded graphics within a published application but you can edit the managed app. within IDE and publish again.

Thanks. This InTouch app was developed by an outside company and is rather complex, so I don't want to change it to be managed my ArchestrA as I'm really not that comfortable with Wonderware tools.

The material in this thread suggested that it was possible to somehow use the object that I created in my non-managed InTouch application, but I can't see a way to do that.

Since the graphic that I drew in ArchestrA isn't complex, I just turned of the background grid and used the window snipping tool to grab the image. Now I'm using GIMP to make the background transparent and I will import it into InTouch. Not the most elegant way, but at least I won't have to redraw the device.

Thanks for you help folks.