Where did Elon Musk go wrong?

The truth is I bought in at $260

Hope you sold at 380

Him stepping down will help Tesla (in the long term) not hurt it and give him more time to be the dreamer that he is and come up with more cool ideas and after the time off I think he will be a better CEO, maybe stay off twitter

Hope you sold at 380

Him stepping down will help Tesla (in the long term) not hurt it and give him more time to be the dreamer that he is and come up with more cool ideas and after the time off I think he will be a better CEO, maybe stay off twitter

What time off? He's been kicked from the board of directors, not from CEO position.

This weekend I parked close to the shop and linked up to WiFi so the car would have an opportunity to download the v9 HMI and system firmware. It did, and I scheduled it to install the update early this morning.

This may be an example of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

v9_plctalk.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNi17YLnZpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo
Where there is technology there is the platform for failure. It's not a matter of if, but when.
I'm OK with systems that "help" the driver but you can't get rid of the driver. We've got many, many years before we'll be ready for that. No matter how you slice it AI is still programming and scenarios that these autonomous systems use are thought up by people. The problem is when a scenario presents itself that hasn't been thought of you have to rely on the ability to come up with a solution on your own which computers can't do, not yet and not in the foreseeable future. Computers don't think, they run code. People think, not always correctly, but they still think. We will get there, but not anytime soon.
One of the issues I do have with the systems that “help” the drivers is it’s one more way that we’re dumbing down the drivers. If you have a system that does the braking for you, then you lose the rapid response to brake when needed. We are creatures of habit and 80% of our driving is done by the part of our brain that doesn’t have to think about what it’s doing, it just does it. That’s learned and practiced behavior and if you don’t practice part of it you will lose the ability to do it without thinking about it. When that kid on the bike darts out in front of you when you’re doing 30MPH, if you have to think about what to do it will take you almost 10 times longer to react and at 30MPH you will hit the kid every time. I don’t want people forgetting how to drive because the car normally does it for them.
As to fully autonomous cars, what about inclement weather? How will an autonomous car deal with a snow storm or street flooding? Who’s going to drive when the GPS satellites go down? There is such a thing as “to much technology to fast”.
Having said all of that, I applaud Tesla in what they are doing. Even if I don’t agree with the final goal, which I don’t believe we will get to anytime soon, the advancements they have made in several areas of technology have brought dramatic improvements in our society. Batterie technology is probably the most notable. Most of us have cell phones that are using 5 times the amount of energy they did less than 10 years ago and they last 5 times as long.
Lastly, here’s what I don’t understand about Tesla (or any of the other car manufactures), why don’t they put a small diesel engine in the car to charge the batteries? You could put a small generator, about the size of a lawnmower engine, tune it so that it runs ultra-efficient at one speed (which is all you need to do when it’s a generator) and get what would be the equivalent of 150 to 200 MPG (easily). How about a Tesla Model S that never needed to be plugged in and runs the generator so efficiently that it comes close to zero emissions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNi17YLnZpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo
Lastly, here’s what I don’t understand about Tesla (or any of the other car manufactures), why don’t they put a small diesel engine in the car to charge the batteries? You could put a small generator, about the size of a lawnmower engine, tune it so that it runs ultra-efficient at one speed (which is all you need to do when it’s a generator) and get what would be the equivalent of 150 to 200 MPG (easily). How about a Tesla Model S that never needed to be plugged in and runs the generator so efficiently that it comes close to zero emissions?
What you've described is how the Chevy Volt works, except it uses gas instead of diesel. The catch is that running an gas engine to turn a generator to charge a battery to power an electric motor to turn the wheels is less efficient than just having the gas engine turn the wheels directly. And so the traditional hybrids with CVTs are still more efficient.

Been there done that!

Just An Opinion:

I have a lot of friends at Tesla and hear that things are slowly getting better. I worked in the same plant for 26 years when Toyota and GM built the Corolla and Tacoma, two of Toyota's finest products. What I know from my experience is that automation would not be the reason for Tesla's failure but management's. There's enough people currently working for Tesla with the knowledge of how to set up an assembly line that can build any vehicle Tesla could come up with as long as the automotive engineering is solid. The challenge to management is to find ways to communicate with those people. If Tesla fails my bet is that management failed, been there done that!!!!!!!!

It took three Toyota plants to produce that same amount of vehicles that NUMMI, joint venture between Toyota and GM, built in its latter years. That says a lot about the production, engineering, and maintenance staff that supported the plant. Many of those same dedicated people are now working for Tesla. They are the employees that will make the company successful if management will lesson.

Sydney

Last edited:
Still federally illegal.

The Fed's are too busy going from door to door looking for undocumented workers to worry about some rich guy smoking pot. Hell, when you are rich nothing is illegal, the question is just, "How much is it going to cost?"

Right now I'm updating the boot firmware on a reliable old Red Lion G306 via an RS-232 cable that I just assembled with an RJ12 connector salvaged from an office phone. I'm being careful not to interrupt or interfere with the connection in fears of bricking the controller while it writes the critical firmware files.

Outside, my car is doing the same thing over WiFi and I'm not even worried about letting it drive home in the rain.

What a world.

I don't think you can brick a G306 that way. I've been disconnected from a 306 and a 308 during updates, and all I had to do was reconnect and start over.

I was on my way home from a Rockwell update class sponsored by our local rep. The 8.4" screen in my car went blank, then a message popped up stating it was downloading and installing new firmware and updates, it may take about 45 minutes depending on area conditions, so don't turn your car off. Well, it was a 15 minute drive home and I sat outside with the car running. It only took a few more minutes after I got home. I was told to put a tin foil hat on that! LOL

The last open weekend at the local drag strip this past fall, there was a Tesla P100D that sneaked into the staging lanes. He was with a few buddies that saved him a spot on that run. He was up against a Hellcat, one of his buddies. I was a few cars behind them in the lanes and I get what looks like Murder Nova II, only Blue. From my vantage point, I could only see the water box. The HC was in the right lane and let the smoke billow out. The Tesla went around the water box, no burnout. I didn't see the results of the race and was hoping he would come back around for another run. The HC was back in the lanes, as well as his other buddies, but no Tesla. The guy in the Nova, which I treed really bad, walked up to me and said he was really shocked. He thought I was just one of "those guy's"...

I hope that Tesla or other Tesla cars show up this year. IHRA and Summit Racing added a new Sportsman street class this year. SFG is sponsoring a $500K bracket race this spring at my local track. The cars that win these races are not the baddest, fastest... but, most consistent, and the driver is on it. I can see a well maintained Tesla with a good driver put that half mill in his pocket.

Well, we all know people don't buy Tesla's to drag race on a competitive level...

Oh yes, there is some big time electric car racing going on tho.

Last edited:
Hope you sold at 380

Nope! from $60 back in 9/2018 to $1010 today.

Geniusintraining indicated price at the time was 380. That was pre-split. so $60 is the correct adjusted price.