You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old August 5th, 2022, 12:17 AM   #1
skyfox
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Class 1 Div 2 Signal light Tower. Who has them?

Can someone please recommend a signal light tower that can be used in a Class 1 Div 2 Classified area?

Explosive gasses can be present under abnormal conditions. Only gases and not dust. PAT-LITE used to make an explosion proof signal tower without the buzzer function, but that has been discontinued. I cant seem to find a single manufacturer that has one.The lights I need are RED/AMBER/GREEN operating at 24VDC.LED preferred. Don't care if it has additional lights as I can leave them off. A buzzer would be a plus but not an absolute must. Tower must have a label stating it is approved for Class 1 Div2 use.

Thanks.

Last edited by skyfox; August 5th, 2022 at 12:20 AM.
Old August 5th, 2022, 01:30 AM   #2
skyfox
United States

Along the same lines...

Can I take a Signal tower that is not rated for class 1 Div2, and install it in that classified area, and make it compatible by using intrinsically safe barriers that are present inside a purged pressurized control cabinet? In other words, Light tower is exposed to Class 1 Div 2 area and intrinsically safe barriers are inside an purged pressurized control cabinet?
Old August 5th, 2022, 01:54 AM   #3
United States

A segmented tower has advantages for colorblind people. But if you don't find one, Banner has some multi color single indicators for hazardous locations, or make your own tower with three single colors.

https://info.bannerengineering.com/c...ature/f192.pdf

These strip lights are available in at least dual color, but it looks like multiple colors might be available. Still not a tower.
https://www.bannerengineering.com/my...hazardous.html
Old August 5th, 2022, 11:20 AM   #4
James Mcquade
United States

skyfox,

the answer to your question is no.
you are not allowed to use any device in an area that it is not rated for, nec70.
even if you use the device as you suggested, it may not accept the intrensic barrier signal, it will require more power than the device can produce.
have you looked at ab, peperal fuchs?
james
Old August 5th, 2022, 11:25 AM   #5
Mueller34
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5618 View Post
A segmented tower has advantages for colorblind people. But if you don't find one, Banner has some multi color single indicators for hazardous locations, or make your own tower with three single colors.

https://info.bannerengineering.com/c...ature/f192.pdf

These strip lights are available in at least dual color, but it looks like multiple colors might be available. Still not a tower.
https://www.bannerengineering.com/my...hazardous.html

I read the initial post and was going to suggest Banner. Just a couple weeks I talked with a rep from there and they showed a very large array of lighting products they have. They did have a light in an IP69k rated light in a 12 inch length he showed me. It could be programmed to work in conjunction with an analog sensor to show levels, all the light could be set to be triggered on a given input and user can define the color and animation. Give them a call.

Last edited by Mueller34; August 5th, 2022 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the product
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum