UPS for ControlLogix

Mark Buskell

Has anyone put any type of UPS on a ControlLogix system.
The specs states that the control power should not be lost for brief interuptions (1 Second or less).
If so, can anyone recommend a UPS that they may have used.
I know APC sells UPS's for computers but I am kind of leary about using one to keep a processor from losing power.

I have several CLX's on APC UPSs.

I've also got one CLX rack on the SOLA din rail mount UPS. The SOLA doesnt' have as much hold up power, but that one functions as a DH+/ENET bridge so it doesn't need as much power.

Its not practical to put the entire control system on a UPS, so you should plan for logic that lets the rest of the program "know" that power has been lost and to respond appropriately.

I am currently using the Sola din mount UPS. A few years ago APC was making a din rail mount UPS. Allen Bradley was taking the APC putting the AB name on it. APC stopped selling it under the APC name and it is sold as an Allen Bradley.

For what its worth I liked the APC better than the Sola. I have had a couple of problems with the connectors on the Sola but overall I would rate it at a 8 out of 10. Sola also has relay output option that gives you relay outs for power loss and low battery.

Mark Buskell said:
Has anyone put any type of UPS on a ControlLogix system.

Hi Mark

I have always done it (well since my first rev 8.XX)and I also pull a dedicated circuit to them.

I just used the Grainer generic ones, I try and put all my PLC on them (the important ones) I have not had any issues with them.

Gets a little annoying when the battery is low... and you have to hear that 'BEEEEP' every 120sec until you can power down and replace them

Yeah, stay with online models, for sure

rdrast said:
We've switched almost exclusively to this series:
http://www.powerware.com/
from Eaton. Leaning mostly to the full online-all-the-time models.

I had a melt-down on a cement plant site, where an offline UPS was supplying the power for a GE 90-70. Every time the main crusher started, the UPS would see a line fluxuation (duh!), and switch over. Every so often, on the switchover, the PLC would recycle. Not good.

battery beep...good point

geniusintraining said:
Hi Mark

I have always done it (well since my first rev 8.XX)and I also pull a dedicated circuit to them.

I just used the Grainer generic ones, I try and put all my PLC on them (the important ones) I have not had any issues with them.

Gets a little annoying when the battery is low... and you have to hear that 'BEEEEP' every 120sec until you can power down and replace them

Good point, ya-all. If you put a plain-Jane UPS in a panel, and have no way to monitor or alarm the maint. staff that they need batteries, well, then when you need the UPS the most, it won't work. The high-dollar ones have open-collector outputs for user-relays, and that's the hot set up.

I've been using mostly UPS's in the http://www.powerware.com/UPS/FerrupsRM_UPS.asp series from Powerware. They deal extremely well with bad plant power, are online-all the time (constantly running off of the DC/Battery supply, even when the AC line is up), and provide decent alarming outputs (UPS Fault, Battery Okay, AC Okay, etc).

We went through a run of the Sola-DIN mount supplies a year ago, and after having a dozen dead on arrival, and 3 of the remaining 4 fail to switch over on a power fault, they are fobidden here.

Slightly different topic

I"m going to hijack this thread just a bit and inquire about another form of protection. We recently lost an L61 processor during a storm(lightning we think). Siince then, there have been discussions here about installing MOV's in strategic locations. Has anyone done this to protect processors and possibly other modules?