Basic Timer Setup

th1nker

Hi all,

I have a DL06DD1 which I am learning to program with DirectSOFT. I've managed to get it to work with output and some basic switch inputs but I would like to learn how to use timers. I basically want to open the switch and have Y10 output power for a given time. I've looked at TMRA but I can't seem to get it to work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Luke

excellent info on their website

Luke,

I'm a novice user of AD plc's, and I've found their example programs extremely helpful. Check out their website at automationdirect.com

Here's a link to their sample programs page --> http://support.automationdirect.com/examples.html

There are a few timer program samples in it.

Also, AD has their own forum (many of us double dip there too) where you can get help as well.

Good Luck,

Mike

The DirectLogic PLCs have two timers. One is a standard timer, TMR, which resets itself when the input to the timer is off. As soon as the input turns off the accumulated time drops to zero.

The second is the Accumulating Timer, TMRA, which maintains the accumulated time until the actual reset is turned on. That means that the accumultated timer is like an hour meter, that increases when the input (top rung) is on and keeps the value when it is off.

AutomationDirect does not have an "Off Delay". If that is what you want, I can show you how to roll your own.

I've managed to get it to work by doing the following,

ladder.gif

I think I'm suffering from not really understanding the logic behind programming with ladders. I've been coding computer languages for so long it's taking a while to get used to this.

Is there a better way of creating an off delay?

Cheers, Luke

Tom, I had that link 'handy' only because the off-delay topic came up recently at the A-D forum... ;)

Luke, realize that your 'unconditional' timer will only operate once when you switch to run... :(

Normally you'd have some 'condition' (i.e. an input) that initiates the timer... (n)

| INPUT +--------+
|----] [-------------------------| TMR T0 |
| K10 |
+--------+

beerchug

-Eric

Luke,

Here's the code...

Control
Signal
----|/|-------[ TIMER ] -------( RESET OUTPUT )

Control RESET
Signal OUTPUT
----| |------+------|/|--------------( OUTPUT )
|
Output |
----| |------+

And here's a Timing Diagram showing the relationships...

+------------+
| \ Control |
-----+ | Signal +-----------
| \
| |
-------|--+ | +----------------+----------
RESET +->| +->|/////Timer//////| \
OUTPUT | +-----------+----------------+ |
| |
| |
| +---------------------------------+
| | | |
+->| Controled Device (Output) +->|
-----+ +-----------

When the control signal is turned ON, if RESET OUTPUT happens to be ON it is then turned OFF. In the second rung, the Output is latched through RESET OUTPUT.

If the Control Signal goes OFF, then the timer runs.

Even though the Control Signal has gone OFF, if the Output is already latched through RESET OUTPUT, then the OUTPUT remains ON as long as RESET OUTPUT is OFF.

When the timer times out, RESET OUTPUT is turned ON. This causes OUTPUT to unlatch.

Notice that you have to have the Timer rung BEFORE the OUTPUT Rung.

If you had it the other way then you would never be able to turn ON your OUTPUT because RESET OUTPUT would always be ON, thus preventing the OUTPUT from ever going ON.

Hour Meter

Hi all,

I'm interested in setting up an "hour meter" within the DL-06 program, for keeping track of drive run time. The Search function turned up some relevent posts:

Tom Jenkins said:
The DirectLogic PLCs have two timers. One is a standard timer, TMR... The second is the Accumulating Timer, TMRA, which maintains the accumulated time until the actual reset is turned on. That means that the accumultated timer is like an hour meter, that increases when the input (top rung) is on and keeps the value when it is off.

Wouldn't the timer reset itself each time the PLC was turned off?

Tom Jenkins (in a different thread) said:
Use the "ON" bit... to run a self-resetting 6 second timer. Use the output of the timer to trip a self-resetting counter, which has a pre-set of 60 (the counter will therefore trip every 0.1 hour). Use this counter to trip another counter, which keeps track of run time in 0.1 hour increments.

A good solution... it sounds like this option would cut the amount of time "lost" per power cycle to an average of 3 seconds. Maybe a dumb question: What do you mean by a self-resetting counter? Are you referring to an additional rung of logic which compares the accumulated count with the preset, and resets the counter when they are equal?

I'm kind of lost...

Paula

Re: Hour Meter

pstephens said:
Wouldn't the timer reset itself each time the PLC was turned off?

Not if you make the timer retentive... (n) (<-- yes, my favo(u)rite smilie, again...;))

PLC --> Setup ---> Retentive Ranges while online with the PLC.

beerchug

-Eric

If you are looking for a hour meter check out the SP timed bits to a counter. They can save you a little code.

Andy