Re-insulating a terminal strip jumper bar

dogleg43

Does anyone make a brush on insulation to put on the exposed end of a terminal strip jumper bar that has been cut down to size?

Although these jumper bars come in different sizes often times we need to cut one down if only 3 or 4 terminals are being jumpered together.

It's almost impossible for us to keep all of the different length jumper bars in our shop stock.

I just cut them back far enough so they sit flush to below, no exposed parts to make contact with anything.

But if it's a concern for you, 3M makes a product called Scotchkote which is a brush on sealant that I have used to help isolate exposed metal connections for low voltage applications

I just cut them back far enough so they sit flush to below, no exposed parts to make contact with anything.

But if it's a concern for you, 3M makes a product called Scotchkote which is a brush on sealant that I have used to help isolate exposed metal connections for low voltage applications

Tharon,
Thanks for the response. I looked at the Scotchkote data sheet and it doesn't mention that it provides any insulation value. Just for sealing up taped joints.
In many cases it is only 24vdc but my customer has pointed out the bar ends.

Clear nail polish will work. I have used it on motor windings that got chipped.

Not sure who's terminal blocks you're using, but pretty much everyone makes separator plates for situations like this. They're about 0.05" thick, and stack inline with the TB's. They provide a barrier between TB sections, and prevent bus bar ends from touching.

If UL listing your panels is a concern, the applied coating likely doesn't meet the listing for use of the jumper bars, as UL didn't test it. The separators would meet that requirement. And separator plates don't dry out sitting on the shelf :)

-rpoet

Not sure who's terminal blocks you're using, but pretty much everyone makes separator plates for situations like this. They're about 0.05" thick, and stack inline with the TB's. They provide a barrier between TB sections, and prevent bus bar ends from touching.

If UL listing your panels is a concern, the applied coating likely doesn't meet the listing for use of the jumper bars, as UL didn't test it. The separators would meet that requirement. And separator plates don't dry out sitting on the shelf :)

-rpoet

These panels do not require a UL listing so that's not a concern. In this particular panel the jumper bar was needed on a interface module's terminals. It doesn't have any separators available.

From a practical standpoint the "paint" is the best option. It's only 24vdc.

The 3M website does give dielectric specs on the Scotchkote product at 450V/mil dry and 200V/mil in water for 24 hours. A bit less than some other options given here. And they are all relatively cheap for a bottle of the product.

I could see the appeal of the silicon based products for looks and the added V/mil. Scotchkote goes on as a semi-transparent brownish coating.

The 3M website does give dielectric specs on the Scotchkote product at 450V/mil dry and 200V/mil in water for 24 hours. A bit less than some other options given here. And they are all relatively cheap for a bottle of the product.

I could see the appeal of the silicon based products for looks and the added V/mil. Scotchkote goes on as a semi-transparent brownish coating.

Tharon,
Good to know and thanks for the update. I stand corrected for saying that Scotchkote did not have any insulation value.

All of these replies are a great example of the usefulness of this website. I've only been doing electrical work for 42 years. Maybe someday I'll know it all and then it will be time to quit.

Merry Christmas.