TIA Portal V13 S7-300 tags

bagged2drag

We had hard drive failure and lost our most recent backup of one of our TIA Portal V13 projects. I uploaded the current program from the PLC (S7-300), but that version doesn't retain the named tags. I wanted to rename the tags in the upload using the data in the FB's from the backup I have, but it appears this is not a possiblity? Does anyone know how to do so? Do I have to be online with the PLC to do this?

I expected I could just open the FB and copy the tags names and dump them in to the uploaded project, as that is what I had read as a solution someplace in the past. I need to make some programming changes so I figured this would be the easiest way to approach it.

Thanks,

I havent tried this with TIA, but with STEP7 Classic I recommend this:
Open the most recent available backup.
Save the project with a new name.

Perform a offline/online compare.
In the list of differences, open the affected blocks side by side (there are functions to do this directly from the compare functions on both Classic and TIA).
Each difference must be individually investigated, and the affected rungs in the offline project be updated/copied/deleted one by one. Take care that the comments dont get misaligned. Modified or added rungs should be commented as far as is possible.

In this way you now have a backup.
If all differences are cleared, you can then perform a download of all OBs, FCs and FBs, but NOT DBs. In this way the timestamps are syncronized so that can also go online with OBs and FBs at least.
Save again.

Thanks. If I don't figure out another method before I get to our facility, I will try that. I am quarantined from our facility, so figured this is a good opportunity to look into this. If modifying my old backup is my only good option though, that is the route I will take.

Regards,

With S7-1500 you can upload more, including comments and symbols.
With S7-300, comments and symbols are not stored on the CPU.

Yes, that is what I noticed, as is the cause of needing to do this. We have a few machines with the s7-1500, and pulling backups from them was easy. I am surprised they don't make the process simpler for the older CPU. Many other CPUs I've used let me use the comment data from the project I am working with when uploading.

You can upload the online blocks into offline blocks.
But if rungs have been added or deleted, the rung comments become misaligned.
For this reason and because it is always a good idea to investigate what and why the blocks are different, I never blindly upload the blocsk from an S7-300.
edit: Unless the differences are huge, it is actually not difficult to do the offline/online compare and subsequent manual updating of the offline project.

Yes, that is what I noticed, as is the cause of needing to do this. We have a few machines with the s7-1500, and pulling backups from them was easy. I am surprised they don't make the process simpler for the older CPU. Many other CPUs I've used let me use the comment data from the project I am working with when uploading.

There just isn't enough memory in the 300's for that text. They were designed a long time ago. The smallest 1500 memory card is about the same size as the biggest 300 memory card.

It'd take redesigning the older CPUs to accommodate that. To be fair, they did, and then called it the 1500 :p

Another tidbit
If the mmc card was large enough (and no hmi etc in the project)
With Step7 you could archive a project and store it on the mmc

Did any of you know that one ?
But to this day, I’ve never seen anyone use that feature

Question on this: So in my upload of the current project, I have numerous rungs that, when expanded, are not in ladder any longer. They have some warnings on lines highlighted in yellow "The address is not occupied by a tag." The address on all these lines in any FB and rung they appear all bools (generally %L0.0 or %L0.1) Can anyone tell me how to correct that? Can I just assign an unused bool to these all?

It is probably SCL code originally and since you don't have SCL sources anymore on your offline project, it converts to ugly STL PLC code with local memory addressing as it was saved to PLC.

The L addresses are the local data. They can be origin from two things.

1. When programmed in LAD, FBD or SCL, the compiler sometimes need to store intermediary results, for example from nesting or from calculations with many brackets.

2. The original programmer created some TEMP data.

One could use L addresses directly (i.e. absolutely without symbols) in ones own code, but dont do it. If the compiler needs to shift the L addresses because some nesting has changed, the L address in yoor own code will not be updated. If you need some TEMP data, declare it and use the address symbolically.

It is possible that the code you uploaded is not LAD but FBD. Some FBD code does not convert to LAD and you will see STL code with L's for some branching or nesting that wont convert nicely to LAD.
Try to switch to FBD view mode.

How do I switch to FBD view mode?
I apologize, as I am not super experienced with Siemens.

I do have an early backup of the PLC program - all the same rungs are written in ladder (within FB's) in that backup, and all subsequent changes to the program were iterative. When working on it in the past, all rungs were written in ladder.

I appreciate the help.

Last edited: