PLC Rockwell 1769-L16ER-BB-1B: Error 16#0106

yuvall

Hi everyone,

I get this error 16#0106 (Module owned and configured by another controller)
when trying to establish connection via assembly & device tags.

Does anyone have an idea of what could cause this error and/or optional solution for this error?

Thanks

Yuval

Any Output type module cannot be 'owned' but by only one controller.

You could add the respective Output module to the L16's IO Tree as a 'Listen Only' connection hence being able to read the status of the outputs but not write/command their state.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Do you mean that you are configuring a device in the 1769-L16's "I/O Tree" on the Ethernet network, as though it was an I/O device for that controller ?

Or are you setting up a third party device to treat he 1769-L16 as an I/O device ?

Please feel free to provide context and details; the more, the better.

Error 16#0106

I am setting up our own adapter via Rockwell 1769-L16 as an I/O device.
'Module define tags' (assemblies) consists of in/out and configuration tags.
Error 16#0106 appears in 'Module define tags' (see attached screen shots)
Please note, Rockwell 1769-L35E works fine with the same adapter.

Thanks alote

Yuval

Annotation 2020-03-19 075210.png Annotation 2020-03-19 093536.png

There are some pretty major differences between L35 and L16 CompactLogix CPUs. The former are some twenty years older than the latter; the L35 were the top of the line CPUs while the L16s are the lowest performing/capable of the 5370 family.

Moreover, the 5370 L16 were specifically designed to use the 1734 Point I/O family modules as their Local/Embedded I/O hardware.

It looks like you are trying to control 1734 Point I/O modules Embedded within another L16 system on a subnet 'bridged' by a third party, Generic Ethernet 'connected' EIP adapter. This is shown by the RSLinx RSWho interface.

If you need to exchange data between the two systems use the Produce/Consume method.

What is the L16 CPU Firmware Revision Number? What is the functional L35 FRN?

Could you post a screenshot of the Connection tab of the Generic Ethernet module properties configuration applet?

Last edited:
dmargineau, I think the RSWho view is just to illustrate the CompactLogix that is being used.

This is an ordinary Generic Ethernet Module connection, which should work largely the same in any ControlLogix or CompactLogix from v15 through v32. The only thing I can think of that has changed would be the Unicast option.

If there is already a 1769-L32E connected to this system and owning the Adapter module, then the error message makes perfect sense. An Adapter can only be owned by one device, and "Listen Only" connections are an optional feature.
Some Adapters require a power cycle to clear their stack and accept an ownership connection from a new controller.

Can you tell us more about the adapter ? Is it an Elmo Motion Control "Maestro" servo controller ?
Is the EtherNet/IP implementation developed entirely in-house, or is it based on a toolkit or module from a vendor like Softing, Hilscher, or HMS ?

EtherNet/IP adapter is based on EADK library, which we purchased long time a go from Pyramid Solutions.
Please note we have no problem to communicate with other tags of type adapter.

OK, so you have to figure out why your Adapter device thinks it is already owned by another controller or why the CompactLogix thinks it is indicating such a condition.

The most likely reason, even in a test lab environment, is that there is actually another controller that has an ownership connection with the adapter, or that the adapter remembers that ownership state from a previous connection.

This is the sort of issue that really needs some protocol analysis, either via Wireshark or something more sophisticated like Frontline Test Equipment's NetDecoder.

It is possible that the 1769-L16ER is interpreting a response from the Adapter device differently than a 1769-L35E would. I have seen that sort of thing when RA began to more rigorously enforce CIP protocol standards and a connection response with an incorrect parameter that was previously ignored or accepted is treated as an error.

If you have one controller that works, and one that doesn't... compare !

It would help to see screenshot from L35E program.
If you can post both programs would be even better.

Are you sure that L35 has format as Data-DINT and not something different?