Studio 5000 Designer Release Interval?

Uhh, 12-18 months maybe? There was the wild west of v25(?), 26, 27, and 29 that were much more frequent because they were adding new hardware support rather than new features. I think they considered v24, v28 and v30 major releases that were probably on the 12-18 month schedule, the in between versions were sprinkled in there.

Uhh, 12-18 months maybe? There was the wild west of v25(?), 26, 27, and 29 that were much more frequent because they were adding new hardware support rather than new features. I think they considered v24, v28 and v30 major releases that were probably on the 12-18 month schedule, the in between versions were sprinkled in there.
What are V31 and V32 considered?

I *believe* that there will be new releases coming in May, but who knows.
Maybe it will add Enum support or Functions, or allow multiple routines in AOIs

*Laughs hysterically at his own joke* Yeah right :ROFLMAO:

It was explained to me in a class I took a couple years ago, by Rockwell people, that every 4th version is what they call a "PIN" version and that is what you should use unless you need feature/hardware support from one of the intermediary versions. PIN versions are V24, V28 and V32.

I believe V25 was a GM only version.

v31 & v32 support the Guardlogix 5380 Safety Controllers. The non-safe 5380 versions started at v29.
Well Yeah that is firmware / hardware support side, but they added features to Designer, at least in v32, that applied to all of them (I think all)

I was just more wondering if they were consider Major or Minor Versions. Sounds like v32 was a major version.

Well Yeah that is firmware / hardware support side, but they added features to Designer, at least in v32, that applied to all of them (I think all)

I was just more wondering if they were consider Major or Minor Versions. Sounds like v32 was a major version.

From my observation, new hardware releases were coincidental with new software versions. Some included new features, some I didn't notice any change.

My usage of "major" vs "minor" releases was only point out that there were some major versions that were released at an unusually rapid paste (< paste? [facepalm]). When Rockwell would talk about them, they would often talk about v24, v28, v30, v31 and v32 as part of their normal release cycle, while suggesting not to waste your time with the other versions unless you needed to use the hardware those releases were targeting. The v26, v27 and v29 releases still followed their rule "install each major revision of software for each major revision of firmware you want to support"

Last edited: