Programmatic Call to Retrieve Running PLC Program

RockyWells

Hi All, I am writing a piece of software for some research and would like to retrieve a running program from a PLC using python or some other available API.

I would be testing this on a MicroLogix AllenBradley shoebox PLC

Does anyone know what API or Library calls I could use to achieve this?

Is this in one of the Protocols like Modbus?

Thx!

No, this is some proprietary protocol not published by the PLC maker. There are some "open-source" PLCs that would probably allow this but it is very unlikely anyone would be allowed to do this with a brand-name product.

You're trying to write your own "UpLoader"? I would think you'd have to intercept the protocol going on between a PC running ControlLogix software and the PLC where the program is running. That might start with a network sniffer, but there will be some "poison pill" in there that'll stop you, for sure...

I don't think you can upload the program, but you can get the input/output status of the PLC with API, try AdvanceHMI, it open source and free.
Once you get the status of the IO, maybe you can get the relationship between the input and output with machine learning algorithm.

It would be cheaper for you to buy the software in the long run.
lets say you charge $120 / hr for your time - good programmer
$60 for a fair programmer. reverse engineering and testing.
you will still need the software for reverse engineering to see if you got it right.

NOW comes the lawyers, reverse engineering AB software will get you in trouble when they find out.

james