Traverse Winding Machine

JohnnyQuanex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

Looking for advice or sample code for a traverse winding application...

I'm upgrading an old machine that was using a structured text program and a TrioMotion PLC (old stuff)... We have nine of these coiling machines, and this will be a copy and paste job once I get a good program assembled...

I've got limited experience with motion programming; I've taken a fundamentals and a motion programming course through Rockwell, which were both very good. I know how to make the axis move, but I'm struggling to transition into and out of move instructions.

We are converting the machines to run L27 Compact Logix PLC's; currently using version 30.0 RS Logix 5000 software...

I'm struggling to figure out how to write the sequences of events. If anyone has any sample code I could look at it would be appreciated.

I'm trying to use a bunch of different MAM instructions. One to go out to the outer flange, one to go into the inner flange, one to kick off at the inner flange, one to kick off at the outer flange; there are a multitude of features that I'm trying to use for this. It should probably be running as a finite state machine, but I'm not experienced at setting that up.

Let me know what questions are out there to help you understand my problems...

I can share my current program, and some videos of the application in process to anyone interested in helping me out...

I'm considering starting over and trying to use the structured text routines available in RS Logix 5000; maybe I could copy and paste the BASIC program from the old machines in and just create tags with the same names as the old the machine used?

I don't know; running out of time to get this ready. I have about two weeks to finish this job; end of fiscal year coming quickly.

Thanks,

John

Hello,
I'm upgrading an old machine that was using a structured text program and a TrioMotion PLC (old stuff)... We have nine of these coiling machines, and this will be a copy and paste job once I get a good program assembled...

I can share my current program, and some videos of the application in process to anyone interested in helping me out...
I'm currently walking the same path as you, but in the opposite direction!
I'm going from Allen Bradley to Trio. I have no experience with motion. So I'm trying to learn motion with AB (looking at the existing program) and, at the same time, how it would be coded in Trio Basic.
I would love to see your code, it will help me to see a real world application with Trio. We can also share our findings on how to implement the same action in both languages.
Post your code or send me a PM, whatever works better for you.