GuardLogix for no safety application

VulcPAC

Hi:

I have a doubt. We need to upgrade an old L62 ControlLogix to L72. The point is than in our warehouse stock we found a L72S with safety partner.
Is there any problem in using that processor instead of a non safety? I mean, without using the safety task, just use the continuous task and make the processor works like a normal ControlLogix.

Is there some issue that we have to consider?

thanks!

Thanks for your answers. The point is that we want to use the Guard because is the one that is available in stock, with that we don't have to buy a L72 CPU.

Safety PLCs don't support the full function set that is available in standard PLCs. If I'm not mistaken, you will be limited to using Integer math with a GuardLogix PLC.

Safety PLCs don't support the full function set that is available in standard PLCs. If I'm not mistaken, you will be limited to using Integer math with a GuardLogix PLC.

You may be thinking of the Guard PLC series. The GuardLogix PLC has everything the standard model does but with the addition of the safety Task and safety instructions.

Hi:

I have a doubt. We need to upgrade an old L62 ControlLogix to L72. The point is that in our warehouse stock we found a L72S with safety partner.
Is there any problem in using that processor instead of a non safety? I mean, without using the safety task, just use the continuous task and make the processor works like a normal ControlLogix.

Is there some issue that we have to consider?

thanks!

There is no issue with doing this other than future confusion and cost. The safety PLC cost much more than the standard so if that L72S is a spare for another piece of in-service equipment you may want to consider this more carefully.

It could also be confusing to someone new working on the system if they see that red safety PLC they may spend a lot of time searching for what safety circuits are being controlled by the PLC if you also have hardwired safety circuits on the machine. Some type of permanent note or document that is well seen when looking at the PLC that states none of the machine safety is being controlled by the PLC may be very helpful in this area.

It will also consume an extra slot in the chassis for the safety partner. Is the slot next to the existing processor currently free or will you have to move things? If you have to move things then that involves a lot more work in many areas and would likely not be worth it any way you spin it.

Just a few considerations from my point of view.

Last edited: