hello iam new in ifix 3.5 need help

its not so simple to me

salam alekm
my problem is in ifix 3.5 and opc i dont know where to start and what i first do in opc and ifix to make tags works correct

Maxword,

First you need to configure the SCU file. In the SCU you will have to configure a driver that you will use to obtain your data. This is the first place you need to start.

salam alekm
my problem is in ifix 3.5 and opc i dont know where to start and what i first do in opc and ifix to make tags works correct

Walkom Alsalam,

I'll assume that you have the proper OPC server that can "talk" to your ABB PLC, Proper OPC server means that it can handle the communication protocol used by your ABB PLC.

OPC server settings:

Step 1:

You should create new "Channel", In this one you configure the communication interface that you'll use between the OPC server and the PLC.

1.1 If you are using a serial connection (RS232-485-422), You configure here all related configurations such as Comport, Baud rate, Parity, stop bits... etc.

1.2 If it was Ethernet, You select the PCI card, IP address... etc.

Step 2:

You should create a new "Device", In this one you configure the communication protocol used by your PLC with exact model if there are many models support the same communication protocol.

Step 3:

You should now create "Groups", I'll talk about it later.

Step 4:

You should create "Tags" or "Items" or "Alias" different names for the same meaning, For each item you create must define the following:

4.1 "Name" for it (This name will be used later in your SCADA software)

4.2 "Type" Analog, Digital... etc

4.3 "Address" which the memory address in your PLC that this tag will hold the value for.

4.4 Other things may be defined depending on the vendor and your needs.

Now what are groups that we defined in step 3?

Answer: Think of it as "Folders" that manage your huge number of tags.

Note that some of the names I used may differ from one vendor to the other, but you should be able to link this info given here with info that you should get from the manual.

Nice regards,
And hope you complete you project successfully.

ayman metwally said:

Walkom Alsalam,

I'll assume that you have the proper OPC server that can "talk" to your ABB PLC, Proper OPC server means that it can handle the communication protocol used by your ABB PLC.

OPC server settings:

Step 1:

You should create new "Channel", In this one you configure the communication interface that you'll use between the OPC server and the PLC.

1.1 If you are using a serial connection (RS232-485-422), You configure here all related configurations such as Comport, Baud rate, Parity, stop bits... etc.

Step 2:

You should create a new "Device", In this one you configure the communication protocol used by your PLC with exact model if there are many models support the same communication protocol.

Step 3:

Step 4:

You should create "Tags" or "Items" or "Alias" different names for the same meaning, For each item you create must define the following:

4.3 "Address" which the memory address in your PLC that this tag will hold the value for.

Note that some of the names I used may differ from one vendor to the other, but you should be able to link this info given here with info that you should get from the manual.

Nice regards,
salam alekm
now iam near of finish just one problem the ifix reads one value from plc and dosent change ex. open all time
and also i have problems of addressing of abb ac31 plc
i use modbus mb1 driver also i tried top server but noo good
i tried another plc and it works good with ifix i dont know why abb ac31 plc do this problem with i fix please help

It was a very long time since your last post (8 months), Is it a graduation project ?!

Anyway, I have no experience with ABB PLC, But the concepts are the same every where (Aren't they?!)

You have two main problems:
1- The OPC server is not "seeing" the PLC.
2- iFix SCADA isn't "seeing" the server.

For the first problem:
While testing use an analog tag not a digital one, Digital Tags only have 2 values (True and False), So you may think that it's not updating .. And the actual problem is that there is no commnication established at the first place.
You may write a simple Ladder program that changes the value of a specific register in the PLC, Read this Tag in the OPC server.
Another important thing: What is the "Quality" of the this OPC item ?!

For the second problem:
I once played with the iFix demo version with the Top server and I succesfully read a tag in iFix.
I'm sure you are missing something in the configuration.
I don't have it installed right now, So I can't tell you excatly what to do.
Anyway, Focus in the first problem first, Talk to SWToolBox support.

Best regards,
And looking to hear form you again.

Last edited:
ayman metwally said:

Walkom Alsalam,

OPC server settings:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Nice regards,
salam alekm every body i just finished my project last day thanks god
now iam quite good with ifix but i try to learn other programs i got intouch 8 and intouch9 file sieze nearly 65mb i dont know if this copy is complete or no . i setup it and start it but when i clic new project every thing just close . i have intouch 7 with 35 mb file size i cant setup it on xp it needs win2000 any body can help me in intouch . also i have program automation studio 5 i want to know how to configure its opc and what driver it needs modbus or canbus or somthing else and does it work in similary way like ifix or not?

help with intouch and automation studio

salam alekm every body i just finished my project last day thanks god
now iam quite good with ifix but i try to learn other programs i got intouch 8 and intouch9 file sieze nearly 65mb i dont know if this copy is complete or no . i setup it and start it but when i clic new project every thing just close . i have intouch 7 with 35 mb file size i cant setup it on xp it needs win2000 any body can help me in intouch . also i have program automation studio 5 i want to know how to configure its opc and what driver it needs modbus or canbus or somthing else and does it work in similary way like ifix or not?

salam alekm
where to download citect scada program and i need a place to scada trainig on intouch and ifix and lookout and citect in egypt?