Logix5000 String Type

mrmss

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Hopefully a simple Q.

I am trying to read a string from Logix5000 as an OPC string point. currently trying to view it in RSView, but cant even see the string in RSLinx.

I have a tag of type STRING in Logix5000, I put in some text 'Boloc' under monitor tags, I then try and use the Data Monitor in RSLinx and I find my string. The Value, Radix and Type are all blank. I expand my string and find LEN contains correct length. Then my string is presented to me by decimal ascii character value. Data[0]=66,Data[1]=111,Data[2]=108 etc.

Meanwhile in RSView, I select a STRING type when I try and add the point to the tag database but when I browse to my STRING i made there is nothing in the right hand plane (no strings here mate). I can change it to Analogue and then I can point to an individual element and read its value.

So whats the best way of getting a string out of RSLogix and into an OPC string?

Ta very much.

Sorted

What I did was create an OPC string point, and just typed in the path to the string instead of browsing; [topic name]String_Name

simple as that!