Modicon 984-154 problem

bginer

Hello all,

I'm a long time reader, and first time poster. Yes, my butt is really in a crack right now:).

The situation is this: I have a customer that has one of our old oven systems (Industrial) that is about 5 years old. The controls are all Modicon PLC's with Modbus + for the comms network. I am an AB baby and know nothing much about these systems. Unfortunately, neither do the engineers who originally programmed it any more. This is a problem.

The problem we're seeing is a communication issue between one of the PLC's and the HMI (which is a Panelview plus 3000). The way is shows up is that the belt speed will show up on the HMI, but nothing else. No temp readouts, no fan speeds, nothing. The communication lights on the front of the processor are blinking continuously as normal. The other PLC is working as it should. The customer is very savvy with this equipment (a LOT more than I am, which isn't really that difficult come to think of it), and had already tried a couple of new processors etc. when I got there. I got with my boss and an ancient laptop and got a program to load on the processor after a protracted struggle and sent that to the customer. No joy.

My only thought right now would be to change out the HMI, but what has stopped me from that is if you change the PLC addresses, the infeed box will change places on the screen with the discharge box (which is the one that isn't working). Not knowing how the equipment works is really crippling me.

Guys, any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, any links to info/books I could buy on this stuff would be great as well. I have been googling like a madman getting whatever I can, but I'm hoping you guys have more links than I've been able to find. We have appoximately 200 installations like this, and they are going to start showing their age here pretty quickly I think.

Regards,

Mark

Was any equipment replaced prior to this problem?
Is the PLC program working correctly?
Is the problem with the displayed values only?
Does the PLC push information to the MMI or does the MMI grab what it wants?

Modbus Plus is a peer to peer network. There are no network errors caused by having multiple devices with the same address, however communication packages may get misdirected (it is a matter of timing and may even be intermittent).

My bet would be on the MMI more so than the PLC if the control program is working correctly. Most programmers used "read" commands in the HMI to get the specific values from the PLC. This method allowed the PLC program to be less complicated because it only had to response to communication requests. If you have access to the PLC program you can confirm this by searching for MSTR function blocks which are used to initiate Modbus Plus data transfers.

To answer your questions Jim,
Yes, but I'm not totally sure what.
As far as I know.
I'm not sure.
I don't know.

That was helpful wasn't it! :)

Seriously, thanks for the reply. You have given me a direction to find out some information from our engineers which may sort out this mess.

Regards,

Mark

I think it is MMI (Panelview) which has lost it's configuration/program. It does not mean your HMI hw is broken. Modicon PLC would not normally pusth data to HMI. It is HMI's job to pull PLCs register values, interpret them in display them in appropriate form.
Cheers

Thanks for the input. I'm going to head in that direction once I can get ahold of the engineer who programmed this thing.

Again, harisk, thanks.

If you are using Proworx to program I think under the tools menu there is a item to let you monitor the Modbus Plus comms (the dos version was MBPstat) this should show you whats going on

The only program I have access to is Modsoft at the moment. I'm trying to get my boss to get me ProWorx, but it's tough going. He has to go up the ladder quite a way to get permission to spend that much money.

I'll keep that in mind if I get it though, thanks.

Mark

MBPstat was supplied with most MB+ products, if you can find the old disks there is probably a copy somewhere on them, if not you could probably download from the web