Rslogix5000 V20 Security

asterof

How do you enable the use of sk.dat software key security
in version 20. It is an option on the install version 16
but under v0 its only got "LogOn, LogOff, Refresh, and I see no option to enable source protection
Thanks

The following applies to enabling [sk.dat] features for RSLogix 5000 version 20.

If you don't want to run the installer, you can just execute the following file from the installation media:

\RSLogix5000\ENU\Tools\Source Protection Tool\RS5KSrcPtc.exe

If you don't have access to the original installation media, for whatever reasons, create the following DWORD registry entry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ProtectedRoutine\PtcRoutine = 1

If you don't have access to the original installation media, for whatever reasons, create the following DWORD registry entry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ProtectedRoutine\PtcRoutine = 1

That simple ???

Is it a different registry key for Studio5000 ?

For Studio 5000, version 24.00, I ran the same installation file and monitored its file and registry activity with SysInternals Process Monitor. I didn't notice anything significant other than the same key being created and set to one.

F:\24.00.00-Studio5000-Web\24.00.00-Studio5000\Tools\Source Protection Tool\RS5KSrcPtc.exe

This time, I noticed that the file's timestamp was 6/23/2005. This tells me they haven't changed their method for enabling this feature in a long time.

The effect on the "Tools - Security" menu was immediate, no application restart was required. Setting the entry to zero also had an immediate effect.

For Studio 5000, version 24.00, I ran the same installation file and monitored its file and registry activity with SysInternals Process Monitor. I didn't notice anything significant other than the same key being created and set to one.

F:\24.00.00-Studio5000-Web\24.00.00-Studio5000\Tools\Source Protection Tool\RS5KSrcPtc.exe

This time, I noticed that the file's timestamp was 6/23/2005. This tells me they haven't changed their method for enabling this feature in a long time.

The effect on the "Tools - Security" menu was immediate, no application restart was required. Setting the entry to zero also had an immediate effect.

That is absolutely brilliant, just tried it myself and can confirm it "does what it says on the tin".

This tip is invaluable for people with multiple versions installed, as it can enable/disable source protection on all versions installed without having to do any re-installation.

I suspect that re-installing just the latest version you have, with that option set, creates the registry key if not there, and sets the value to 1, enabling routine protection across the board.

But why bother with a re-install if you can just do a one minute hack with regedit....

Great

Great, its working. Thank you for the support.

The following applies to enabling [sk.dat] features for RSLogix 5000 version 20.

If you don't want to run the installer, you can just execute the following file from the installation media:

\RSLogix5000\ENU\Tools\Source Protection Tool\RS5KSrcPtc.exe