Line to Line vs Line to Neutral

Nearbyatom

We are about to spring for a frequency converter (230VAC 60Hz single phase to 50Hz converter single phase). In the US we are Line to Line voltage. In China (where our equipment will go) is Line to Neutral.

Does this Line to Line vs Line to Neutral matter as long as the potential difference is 230? We want to get a converter but it doesn't specify if the output will be line to neutral.

is there a derating factor to take into account of if we go from 60Hz to 50Hz? Some manufacturers say yes, some say no. I'm confused.

Please advise. Thanks.

I assume that 230VAC line to line single phase means 230V split phase as in the supply transformer having a 230VAC secondary with the centertap grounded for the neutral.

If that is the case, then you may be taking line to neutral 115VAC single loads off one side or the other. If you go to 230VAC line to neutral, whether 50 or 60Hz, those loads are going to see 230VAC rather than 115VAC. Of course, the frequency will go from 60 to 50Hz as well.

If my initial assumption regarding split phase is correct, you might find it easier to supply an input transformer with a 230V secondary and ground the centertap for your own neutral.

All of this assumes that your machine loads are tolerant of both 50 or 60hz. If not, you've got much bigger problems than just making the various voltages work out right.