IMI Buschjost 24 vdc solenoid coil running very hot . 192 degrees . Is this unusual ?

Cydog

Good Morning ,

We have a IMI Buschjost 24 vdc solenoid valve coil that is very hot . About 192 degrees . It stays energized for very long periods . When it does start back up , we have a hard time getting the machine to run again . All the problems point to this valve and coil . Is it unusual for a 24 vdc coil to run this hot ?

Thanks so much for your input ,

Is it rated for continuous duty?

Is this the only valve you have? If not, are the others hot?

Is this a new unit or has the valve always been hot?

Is the media flowing through the valve hot, is the valve body hot too, or just the solenoid?

Have you checked current draw against manufacturers spec?

The oil in the pipe is maybe 100 degrees . The 3rd shift maintenance man is the one that brought it to my attention. I haven't had time to look it the specs . The heat seems electrically induced .

The oil in the pipe is maybe 100 degrees . The 3rd shift maintenance man is the one that brought it to my attention. I haven't had time to look it the specs . The heat seems electrically induced .

Check for a 24VAC coil. It will overheat on DC power

+ 1 for DickDV. I've had this happen before. An AC coil will work, but sometimes not reliably on DC and it will get real hot.