Voltage input to Potentiometer output signal conditioner?

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
I know of and have used the pot to analog signal condtioners.

I am looking for the opposite. I need to convert a 0-5V (or 0-10V, or 4-20MA) to a potentiometer for the throttle signal to an engine. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I know of and have used the pot to analog signal condtioners.

I am looking for the opposite. I need to convert a 0-5V (or 0-10V, or 4-20MA) to a potentiometer for the throttle signal to an engine. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I found a thread on another forum

https://control.com/thread/1026172756

It appears that you can go old school with a motorized potentiometer as well.

Pretty sure that if the engine controls input assumes a potentiometer, in reality it measures voltage. The engine control outputs for example 10V to the potentiometer, and the potentiometer works as a voltage splitter to create a 0-10V signal.
So, you must investigate what voltage the engine control outputs to the potentiometer. Based on that you will know what voltage you must provide. If your analog signal is already 0-5V and the engine control is 0-10V then you need a signal conditioner.

It is possible that the signal conditioner must be isolated, and you must tie the ground of the output of the signal conditioner to the ground of the engine controls "potentiometer" input.

Pretty sure that if the engine controls input assumes a potentiometer, in reality it measures voltage. The engine control outputs for example 10V to the potentiometer, and the potentiometer works as a voltage splitter to create a 0-10V signal.
So, you must investigate what voltage the engine control outputs to the potentiometer. Based on that you will know what voltage you must provide. If your analog signal is already 0-5V and the engine control is 0-10V then you need a signal conditioner.

It is possible that the signal conditioner must be isolated, and you must tie the ground of the output of the signal conditioner to the ground of the engine controls "potentiometer" input.

I understand all of that. We are currently sending 0-5 (actually 1.4-3.6V) to the engine. The issue is that the customer (engine) states they are seeing the throttle signal moving around. I am also measuring and see that the throttle voltage is stable within .1 V. In an effort to try and remove more parts from the equation, I want to utilize a pot signal conditioner so that the reference voltage is their ecm reference voltage.

I understand all of that. We are currently sending 0-5 (actually 1.4-3.6V) to the engine. The issue is that the customer (engine) states they are seeing the throttle signal moving around. I am also measuring and see that the throttle voltage is stable within .1 V. In an effort to try and remove more parts from the equation, I want to utilize a pot signal conditioner so that the reference voltage is their ecm reference voltage.

Could you just route a large reference wire to zero out any potential difference?

I've used some analog output modules that accept external power supplies for loop excitation voltage. Sounds like you're looking for a signal conditioner that could do the same.

I would investigate if the Gnd of the potentiometer input (the opposite terminal of the excitation voltage terminal) is isolated or if it is tied to Gnd of the engine controller.