Ignition Installation Problems with Java

Vlad Romanov

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get into Ignition, so I downloaded the latest and greatest installer from their site. (v7.9.10)

When trying to install, the logo displays and then I get an error saying that it's unable to find Java v8 or v9. (See Image)

I've verified and the Java I have is definitely v8. I've even run the update & it completed successfully. (See Image 2)

Still the same error from Ignition.

Any help?

image1.PNG image2.PNG

Did you just follow the setup and let it take you to the JAVA download and update your java to the latest version.

Your java 8 may have not installed correctly.

Did you just follow the setup and let it take you to the JAVA download and update your java to the latest version.

Your java 8 may have not installed correctly.

I did follow it, they just link to a general Java page from which I downloaded the latest version, installed successfully and still see the same error.

There were some communications from Ignition that said something like starting from version xxx they will not include Java. So either install the latest Java, or download an older version 7.9 maybe

There were some communications from Ignition that said something like starting from version xxx they will not include Java. So either install the latest Java, or download an older version 7.9 maybe

I think it is the other way around. When they release the next version of Ignition 7.9.11, it will have Java embedded, where as now, you have to install it separately and maintain a configuration file that is a simple text file with settings that ignition uses to locate the java runtime installation.

I need to check on this, I have one customer who is stuck with a windows 10 machine that updates itself against our will and occasionally breaks his java pointer in the .conf file.

EDIT: It appears to still be in beta. I think I will wait until it is fully released.
https://inductiveautomation.com/downloads/beta

Last edited:
I need to check on this, I have one customer who is stuck with a windows 10 machine that updates itself against our will and occasionally breaks his java pointer in the .conf file.

EDIT: It appears to still be in beta. I think I will wait until it is fully released.
https://inductiveautomation.com/downloads/beta

I'm running Ignition on two of the PC's from www.AdvancedHMI.com.
Both have the default Win10Pro installation out of the box, with updates disabled via the group policy editor. I haven't had any issues yet, and am planning a rollout soon on another 5 or 6 of those PC's.

I'm running Ignition on two of the PC's from www.AdvancedHMI.com.
Both have the default Win10Pro installation out of the box, with updates disabled via the group policy editor. I haven't had any issues yet, and am planning a rollout soon on another 5 or 6 of those PC's.

The PC I have with windows ten that I can't keep from updating was a Windows 7 machine with Wonderware. The plant operator accidentally upgraded it to Windows 10. It didn't like his monitor, so the right 10% of his windowviewer was chopped off. I managed to get around that and make it functional again. Later, we did some mods to the plant and needed to modify the graphics. They had no development license for Wonderware. We gave them the choice of buying a one year subscription for that key, or switching to Ignition. They chose the latter (good choice). So we installed Ignition on their existing machine, got everything converted and added the new stuff. I have tried multiple methods of disabling updates to no avail. I turn off Java updates. Bill Gates crew turns it back on. Hopefully we can sneak a new PC into their operation if they will come off of some money for some desperately needed plant maintenance.

I have two other PCs with Windows 10 Pro that don't suffer from these same issues, but I bought them new with that OS pre-installed. I really hate Windows 10. I don't often use the "h" word. I am tempted to turn to Linux.

In retrospect, I should have insisted on a new PC. In the future, we won't go the route of installing Ignition on an old machine like that. It has only cost me an hour or two in total to log in to his PC and fix it, but a couple more hours, and the new PC was paid for...

Last edited:
@Okie if the Plant Operator did the upgrade...
#1 Shame on them for having their HMI's connected to the Internet.
#2 They probably did the basic upgrade, which only puts the Home version of 10 on it. That one really does force automatic updates. I only played with the Home version a little bit in a VM, then dumped it.