small and very low cost device with ethernet

betamax6

Hi guys,

May I ask if you know of any device with as few as 3 inputs and capable of ethernet connectivity? I have a project to monitor a number of machines and gather these data through ethernet. I only need to monitor the "run", "stop", and "alarm" status of machines. Thank you very much!

ADAM modules are quite interesting and are probably what you need.

You can also use the Wago IO to do this by choosing a remote IO comm interface that supports Modbus or Ethernet IP.

It will depend on what device will be reading the data, really.

What do you mean by "monitor" ?

Do you mean to display the status of the devices on an HMI software ?
If so, what is this software and what protocols does it support ?

Or do you mean to aggregate the signals in some kind of controller ?
Maybe you mean first aggregate the signals in the controller, then display on an HMI.
If so, what is this controller and what protocols and/or fieldbusses do it support ?

When you mention Ethernet connectivity, do you want a web server, Email, networking protocols (Types Ethernet IP, Modbus, etc)?
Do you want data logging to review the status over time?
Without knowing the exact application I would recommend the Productivity 1000 PLC. This will do all of the above with an Ethernet connection for a small investment.
https://www.automationdirect.com/productivity/p1000

Here is a training series on this controller that will cover the topics listed above.
https://accautomation.ca/series/productivity-1000-plc/

I hope this helps you out.
Regards,

betamax6 said:
May I ask if you know of any device with as few as 3 inputs and capable of ethernet connectivity?

Since you use Omron PLC's in the past the CP1L-EL20DR-D maybe a good fit

Take a look at the Nano-10 PLC form Triangle Research

The Nano-10 has 4 digital inputs and 4 digital outputs.

Measures only 3.3" by 2.8" and has a built-in Ethernet port which supports MODBUS TCP/IP Server and Client connections.

The starter kit sells for $229.00 with software included. Additional PLCs are about $120.00 each.

If you have access to a supplier with good OEM pricing, try the Turck FEN20-4DIP-4DXP.

I see them retail around $300, but I believe I had pricing from someone at one point around $100.

They do Ethernet IP and profinet and have a pass through switch which is great, all in a small footprint.

Yo can get an AB Micro820 PLC for less than $200 and the programming software called CCW can be installed for free.
It has Ethernet port.