RSLogix Emulate fails on load with Consumed points

Nomographer

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm modifying some simulation tools that work with RSLogix Emulate v20 to also work with Studio 5000 Logix Emulate version 24. To synchronize calculations in multiple PLCs, I have one PLC control event-based tasks in the others using Produced and Consumed points. This approach has worked fine in the past. The problem I've having now with V24 is that any slot using a Consumed point will encounter a fatal error the next time the chassis is restarted. To get around this, I have to terminate processes, delete emulator working files, then redefine and download again. Sometimes, it even prevents Windows from being able to shutdown properly.

The release notes for Logix Emulate 24.01, under the Anomalies section, mention this problem as "A Studio 5000 Logix Emulate controller may fail to restore a previous configuration when an application includes consume tags.[Lgx00187747] [Lgx00175026]". I snickered at the phrase "may fail". I tried a search by keywords and Answer ID on the RA site, but got no results. My boss is making a request to get our TechConnect contract renewed, but no telling how long that might take.

I've had this problem on multiple computers, all of which are VMware VMs. I'm currently working with a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and have only installed 24.01.01 of the emulator and 24.01 of Studio 5000. RSLinx Classic Gateway 3.74 is installed, RSLinx Enterprise is not installed. I haven't installed any AOPs or applied any patches yet. I'll try the patches next.

To avoid the problem, I can use messages to communicate between PLCs, but it's not as responsive and I have to fiddle with dwell times.

A summary of the error reported in "Logix Designer Fatal Error.log" is:

Fatal Error!
Application: SL5KServer.exe, Version: V24.01.00 (Release)
Source File: IOCObjectRegistrar.cpp, Line Number: 97
Function/Method: IOCObjectRegistrar::GetStaticModuleInfoFactory
Error 0x80004003 (-2147467261) - Invalid pointer

I've seen another fatal error in the past when using 24.00, I think the function name was RxGetRegisteredCompany, but haven't seen it lately. I know of one other company dealing with this situation. Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?