Connect To Unknown S7-1200 Version

eurekah

We primarily use AB controllers at our small scale facility, but we now have a new S7-1200 controller on site that were part of a skid mounted system purchased from a vendor. We would like to be able to connect to it to configure the IP address of the port and determine which tags we would like to add to our data historian.

Will STEP 7 BASIC allow me to connect and make the basic configuration changes I'd like, or is there a different package that I will need?

Also, if I purchase the latest version of STEP 7 will it support older versions of firmware if the controller isn't up to date?

Thanks for the help!

P.S.
As a last case scenario we can try to get the vendor down here to do these changes, but we would prefer to have the capabilities in house.

EDIT:
Is there a free way to connect to the controller just to see what version of firmware it is running?

Last edited:
There is a TIA Automation tool, for connecting but I am not sure if it will show the version.
Also, you can download and activate trial version of TIA so you can see if you can connect.
And yes, step7 basic is all you need for the s7 1200.

Siemens Automation Tool is a free tool that is aimed at the service technician. With that tool you can do a lot of things, such as assigning IP addresses, and diagnosing the hardware. I am pretty sure you can see the firmware version.
Disclaimer: I havent tried it myself.

Thanks for the help everyone. I downloaded the trial version of the TIA portal and will be checking to make sure I can connect properly to the Siemens PLCs.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to download the Siemens Automation Tool. While it is a free product you need to be registered with Siemens to download it. Since out company has yet to purchase control products from Siemens they won't allow me to have a fully registered account, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help everyone. I downloaded the trial version of the TIA portal and will be checking to make sure I can connect properly to the Siemens PLCs.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to download the Siemens Automation Tool. While it is a free product you need to be registered with Siemens to download it. Since out company has yet to purchase control products from Siemens they won't allow me to have a fully registered account, unless I'm missing something.

Yes you are. We don't buy anything directly from Siemens and setting up a web account for downloading was pretty straight forward.

You create a (free) account on the support site (give them name, email, address, etc), and then try to download the file. Then, it may make you jump through some hoops for export approval, and you'll wait a day or so.

Basically "export approval" means someone needs to look at your account information and decide you aren't a terrorist or from an embargoed country. Export laws are stupid complicated.

Then you'll be able to download whatever from the site.