Compactlogix L30ER to Panelview Plus1000 v.5.10

djmiller

Is there any way to get an older panelview to communicate to the L30ER Processor? Everything appears fine, but I get a warning from FT after creation of the runtime about device compatibility and my tags do not update. The event viewer on the PV+ says "the item is no longer available". Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The simple workaround is to create the CompactLogix manually in the RSLinx Enterprise runtime schema by pretending it's a 1769-L32E. You've probably already done that.

But that only works if the firmware (technically the built-in RSLinx Enterprise) in your PanelView Plus supports the firmware in your CompactLogix.

RA Knowledgebase Article 476489 describes how the 5.10.08 firmware for the PV+ can support newer CompactLogix controllers.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/476489

How old is your FactoryTalk View Studio ? If there are any CompactLogix on it at all, the L35E or L32E objects should be there.

What model of controller was your RSLinx Enterprise shortcut pointing to previously ?

Does the project work correctly during test runtime on your development computer ?

Last edited:
If I send this one back, will a 2017 FACTORY SEALED ALLEN BRADLEY 2711PC-T10C4D8 /A PANELVIEW PLUS 6 TERMINAL work with my selected Compactlogix? the L30ER?

I actually don't use FTView Studio often anymore.

If you can post the exact version (Help -> About) then folks who have similar ones might help you find the correct way to do the manual insertion of the controller placeholder in the RSLinx Enterprise configuration.

You should also go through the PV+ menus to figure out exactly what version of firmware it is running. There will be a 5.10.xx sub-revision that may matter.

Release Number: 8.10.00 (CPR 9 SR 7.4)
Patch Pack Number: 00
Build Number 13

I tried downloading the EDS for the L32E. All I get is the Ethernet Bridge for the L32E.

Dan

EDS files are related to RSLinx Classic, and affect how Studio 5000 and some other tools connect to controllers. The older CompactLogix actually are a little complicated with the daughtercard, CPU, and backplane all having their own EDS files.

But I don't think they have any role with RSLinx Enterprise, which is why you end up having to patch or upgrade RSLinx Enterprise so often when new controllers are introduced.

So let's back up: can you create a FactoryTalk Shortcut in RSLinx Enterprise (inside FTView Studio ME) so that the development software correctly connects to the controller ?

If you can, then you just have to make sure that (1) the Design configuration gets copied into the Target configuration, and (2) the PanelView Plus has the appropriate revision of firmware to support the CompactLogix controller.

Get into those configuration menus of the PV+ (or watch the data go by during bootup) to figure out what revision of 5.10.x firmware is in that terminal.

Hi Ken,
First of all,thank for the help. I found an old technote that gave me a path to try.

First thing I did was totally blow away my Runtime Configuration on RSLinx Enterprise Communication Setup.

Then I downloaded the EDS file for the L32E Ethernet Bridge and and installed it by using the EDS Function in the Communication Setup in Slot 3 and added the IP.

Then I right clicked on that and I added another device - the 1769-L32E Compactlogix Processor with the highest rev.

Then I set my shortcut to that. I will try it tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed. I may end up returning the old 1000 and getting a PV6.

I will let you know how it all worked out though.

The document # is 476489 FYI.

Thanks again Sir,
Dan

I think I need 5.10.08 to be compatible. I tried looking for it but could not find it from Rockwell. If you know a link to it, that's be awesome.

Dan