Micro800 vs MicroLogix

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
So it's looking like the MicroLogix is going to be phased out sometime in the near future. The Micro800 series looks very promising, e.g. faster, 64-bit math, IEC languages.

Anyone care to comment on their real-world experiences with the Micro800 series?

Only the MicroLogix 1000 and 1500 are in an “end of life” status. The 1100, 1200 and 1400 are all active products and while I could see the 1200 going away in the not too distant future the 1100 and 1400 are much too popular and will be around for a long time.
As to the Micro800, I find them difficult to program especially if you’re used to using RSLogix.

Are you basing this on anything (a notice from Allen Bradley) in particular or just a personal opinion?

Basing this on what Firejo said, noticed the end-of-life status (for those 2) when looking on their website recently.

I hope Firejo is right, although the Micro850 looks nice, I do like the MicroLogix 1400s.

My initial look at the software was not favorable, but I'll admit that I only used it in the initial release. The software has reportedly had a lot of improvements since then.

From what I've heard, it is a product more intended at the Chinese market. It was an AB acquisition, not something they developed themselves. It doesn't follow most of the standards that people used to logix 500/5000 would expect. That doesn't make it BAD, but everything I hear is that it isn't really part of the family.

My initial look at the software was not favorable, but I'll admit that I only used it in the initial release. The software has reportedly had a lot of improvements since then.

From what I've heard, it is a product more intended at the Chinese market. It was an AB acquisition, not something they developed themselves. It doesn't follow most of the standards that people used to logix 500/5000 would expect. That doesn't make it BAD, but everything I hear is that it isn't really part of the family.

Sigh. This is what I was afraid of. I've already been bitten by using a rebranded Indian HMI/PLC combo; learned my lesson. Maybe I'll try the Micro800 series in a few years once it's more mature. Otherwise I'll stick with my ML1400s for smaller applications.

I remember using one of these to upgrade a control system that was running on pneumatic logic gates. We had some servo drives that needed repurposing, and the indexing motion control was great for the price. Doesn't have the Logix 5xx look and feel, but as our shop only had Logix5000, this proved cheaper than purchasing a MicroLogix and an Rslogix 500

This is a myth that won’t go away. Rockwell developed the Micro800 and the software was developed by a Rockwell company. I think they sacrificed their high quality standard to try and buy their way into a market share they weren’t having any luck in (the low end PLC market). In my view it’s more of a black eye than a success but to be fair my experience in working with the Micro800’s was when they first hit the market and nobody, and I mean NOBODY, knew how to program them (including Rockwell tech support). Having said all of that, some people love them so they aren’t a total failure.

I've used the Micro 820, Micro 850 and PanelView 800 series (4" in particular) quite a fair bit over the last few years.

The early Connected Components Workbench versions were a nightmare to work with, but now with CCW V9 it is much better.

Have not done any motion with them but have done PID, control over Ethernet/IP to PowerFlex 525's, process control, programming in FBD and ST, but primarily LAD, and also done some Modbus/TCP comm's as well.

Over all for the price point I am happy to keep using them. However in terms of speed of program development and ease of use, give me RSLogix/Studio 5000 any day.

Are some of the Micro800 lines in short supply? Due to demand? I ordered 2 7" PanelView800s yesterday, and was given a month lead time for shipment from the Rockwell factory. I am new to the Micro800 family of equipment, and the development for panelview is more limited, which I can understand for the lower price being offered at. Also, while not not totally familiar with the CCWv9, development time is taking me a bit longer to accomplish a similar task I was used to within FactoryTalk View, and looking at the Micro800 ....programming is going to take some time to familiarize myself with. It's not that its bad, but just different than what I'm used to from Rockwell.

I used it last year to automate some small powder coat booths and no problems with the plc portion but the HMI portion ground to a slow crawl when I had to populate the screen with a couple of dozen objects.

jstolaruk,

Do you recall which panel series you used? I did notice when perusing the AB website at panels, tryin g to decide for the best fit for my application, that there was a note indicating that the "PanelView Component" were being phased out for the PanelView800.

The part number was 2711C-T4T and I believe I was using Connected Components Workbench v9.0 though I may have since upgraded from v8.0.

ps: I was using it with a ML1400, not one of the Micro800s

Last edited:
I rarely like to weigh in on these X vs Y PLC threads. But I do believe RA sacrificed standards we have come to expect from the to compete in the low end market. I just wish that they would have called it something besides "Micrologix" since it is absolutely nothing like the 1100/1400 counterpart.

In fact the main reason I discourage it's use is that its software is nothing like RsLogix 500 or 5000. If someone has learned 500 they can catch onto 5000 pretty quick and vice versa but whether you love or hate the 800's software, when your application is too large for it, there isn't an easy transition to a larger PLC family.

Also, as others have stated, only the 1000 and 1500 are being phased out. I wish they would clarify this on their site because it is becoming a common question.
http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/MicroLogix-1000