Precise Stepper Motor Control with PLC

Blake88

I am would like to use a FUJI electric SPB PLC to control a stepper motor. I need the stepper motor to drive a rotating plate a specific number of degrees or steps each time. Is a PLC sophisticated to send the correct number of pulses to the motor and stop or can it only turn it on until a timer or switch stops it?

Alternatively, are there any rotational pneumatic actuators that can give precise rotational movement? I am trying to avoid linear pneumatic cylinders with a rack and pinion.

Check if the unit can output PWM signals. You would be sending these to a stepper motor controller, not direct to the motor.

How many different step settings do you need? If it is the same each time, i.e. go from 0 degrees to say 28 degrees, you can get rotary pneumatic with hard stops (from the likes of SMC, Shunck, etc).

Another option is the likes of: http://www.smcworld.com/products/en/electric/s.do?ca_id=626

Whereby your PLC would send digital IO to its controller, e.g output 1 on, goes to 10 degrees, output 2 on, goes to 15. This is setup in the SMC software, most units have 64 configurable step settings.

...and welcome to the forum...

I have done a few rotary table with different assembly stations with stepper controls. We ended up using a locking guide after the number of pulses to ensure the table was in the correct position.

Thanks!

It does only need to rotate the same amount each time.
A rotary pneumatic with hard stops looks like it could be a good option for me.

The PLC I have can output PWM signals, if I go down the stepper motor route, is the stepper motor controller a separate PLC style device or is it something more sophisticated like arduino? This is for a pretty basic industrial environment and I don't want to overkill it with more tech than it needs.

Thanks Gary, locks are a good idea, the current pneumatic system has a lock system that I will adapt to work with whatever upgrade I install.

Is it turn once and back to 0 or are there more stations? The schunk I listed are generally the former.

For the latter the SMC units would be my choice over plc/stepper... the arduino can use add on cards (shields) which essentially are a small stepper controller.