Cheap Rockwell PLC for learning?

Ozpeter

I have a bucket load of experience with GE PLCs but almost zero experience with Rockwell PLCs - which is pretty well the opposite of the market share of each brand. So I want to obtain a Rockwell PLC purely for learning.

What would be the sweet spot for a second hand Rockwell PLC that maximized functionality (such as Ethernet connection) while minimizing hardware and software cost, yet still able to apply my new found knowledge to full sized systems?

I would think it would be a shoe box style PLC, but having zero experience in speccing out Rockwell hardware I don't even know if there are any "gotchas" that I need to avoid.

Micrologix 1100, free software, ethernet. Logix 500 that is, if you want 5000 buy an L16 for £600 and software £700

Those trainers look like a pretty good value.

This is tough, you can get into the Micro8xx series for pretty cheap. Hardware is inexpensive and software is free. Problem is the Micro8xx series is so drastically different software wise, it won't give you any experience with what Rockwell has been doing, and still is doing for the last 25 years.

Ideally get a small CompactLogix, that platform is more likely what you will be running into, at least from my bubble. Only problem is the hardware is pricier and so is the software. If you spent the next few months on the Micro8xx series, gaining experience and confidence, then someone threw you in front of a CompactLogix and Studio5000, you'd be like WTF is this? Maybe you could talk with your distributor about getting the software for educational purposes. Not sure what they can or will do, but it's worth asking them.

Those trainers look like a pretty good value.

This is tough, you can get into the Micro8xx series for pretty cheap. Hardware is inexpensive and software is free. Problem is the Micro8xx series is so drastically different software wise, it won't give you any experience with what Rockwell has been doing, and still is doing for the last 25 years.

Ideally get a small CompactLogix, that platform is more likely what you will be running into, at least from my bubble. Only problem is the hardware is pricier and so is the software. If you spent the next few months on the Micro8xx series, gaining experience and confidence, then someone threw you in front of a CompactLogix and Studio5000, you'd be like WTF is this? Maybe you could talk with your distributor about getting the software for educational purposes. Not sure what they can or will do, but it's worth asking them.

I am not sure if this has changed but in my experience the distributors don't actually handle the software itself. Even if you order it from them it still comes from Rockwell directly.

I am not sure if this has changed but in my experience the distributors don't actually handle the software itself. Even if you order it from them it still comes from Rockwell directly.

This is true still, but your distributor is the buffer between you and Rockwell. They can lean on Rockwell for certain things for you. They have gotten us temporary activations for various products that is not part of our toolkit from time to time.

This is true still, but your distributor is the buffer between you and Rockwell. They can lean on Rockwell for certain things for you. They have gotten us temporary activations for various products that is not part of our toolkit from time to time.

Hi .. I'm $RANDOM_PERSON. Can you give me free a license for your $$$$ expensive software even though I am not a customer and unlikely every to be a customer?

I can't see that going down too well .. lol

Hi .. I'm $RANDOM_PERSON. Can you give me free a license for your $$$$ expensive software even though I am not a customer and unlikely every to be a customer?

I was not expecting anything to be free. They used to offer us a "mini" edition that we could sell to our customers at a pretty cheap price for the ones that don't already have Rockwell equipment. I was thinking more like that.

Of course their ability to do that depends on who you are unfortunately. If you go in there as $RANDOM_PERSON it's unlikely. If you go in there as "I go to this school" or "I work for this company", may be it's different. I know nothing about you so I was just throwing it out there.

Last edited:

You may be trying to be sarcastic but you would be very surprised on the amount of FREE stuff my suppliers have given me, I still remember just about everyone and send them the return (customers) 10x for most of them it was a small gesture on their part but its paid off for them

I try and do the same, just last week for one of my better customers called and was asking about a part, I did not have it but I bought them and sent it to him... no charge, I paid for the items and shipping. It was only about 50 bucks but I guarantee he will keep my company in his thoughts when he needs something in the future.

My long winded point... even the $RANDOM_PERSON can build a relationship with suppliers and they (most) would be glad to help out when they can