plc learning pit

richie

I asked this question the other day,the last lesson of the garage door in the learning pit copurse they want you to use the close relay while the door is in the open position,so how can you do this without burning both windings could you use a jump to a label or a ton or tof turn on timer or turn off timer delay ?

Richie,
perhaps some more info about the connected I/O.
Are there proximaty switches used to detect the open and closed position?

Carol

...They want you to use the close relay while the door is in the open position, so how can you do this without burning both windings..?
Richie, you have mis-stated the problem. Mis-understanding the situation is the main cause of not being able to solve most problems.

The instructions do not say "to use the close relay while the door is [opening]". Instead, they say that if the door is OPENING, use the Close pushbutton SWITCH (not a motor winding) to stop it.

This problem has been discussed and solved here before. Do a search and you will find the method to be used. Here is only one of them:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=28598

Here is a copy of the actual Learning Pit Door Opener Exercise 4:
Supplemental Programming Exercise #4:
We do not recommend proceeding with this exercise if you do not have an instructor or experienced PLC programmer to call upon for assistance.

In this exercise we want you to modify your program so that it adheres to this additional criteria:
  • If the door is currently opening, pressing the Close Switch will immediately halt movement. Door movement will remain halted when the switch is released.
  • If the door is currently closing, pressing the Open Switch will immediately halt movement. Door movement will remain halted when the switch is released.
  • Once movement is halted by the either of the foregoing actions, the operating criteria associated with the previous exercise will again take effect.
  • The utilization of Binary or Integer Table bits to Flag specific conditions within your program would be appropriate. Also, the retentive OTL and OTU instructions may be utilized freely at your discretion.

Last edited: