How to zap a password on Omron CQM1 CPU21?

gregblack

Somebody has put a password on our Omron PLC, meaning we can't download a new program or online-edit. We tried disconnecting the battery with power off and leaving it for 30 minutes (we have the program backed up) but found the password and program still intact on power resumption.

Also, does a backup of the program save the values of data registers or are they reset to zero on uploading a backed-up copy of the ladder logic?

Thanks for any help.

you will probably have to leave the battery dissconnected for more than 30 minutes. The capacitors hold a charge for a long time.
There is a way to drain them by grounding a certain terminal but i would not know. I ran into the same problem on a AB slc5/01.
the replies i got told me to remove the battery and wait for up to 2 weeks for the cap. to loose there charge, not what i wanted to hear,
but then someone posted a more helpful suggesstion

1) When prompted for the password enter MLCLRMEM , using the keypad of a
telephone you must translate this into its numeric equivalent of " 65257636

i entered those numbers and voila! it worked.

sorry this does not help you but maybe there is something like that for omron..

mark

Thanks for the help. Got onto a more-informed-than-the-first Omron rep (the first claimed it was impossible to remove a password) who was puzzled that the download would get to 99% before giving a "Program is password protected" error. He suggested checking the write-protect DIP switch, which did the trick after a reboot ie it wasn't password protected at all. Love those spurious errors, they make work that little bit more challenging :)

but then someone posted a more helpful suggesstion

i entered those numbers and voila! it worked.

I can see you never tried this one. The standard method for "clearing the password" is "CLR","MONTR","CLR".

I can just see the support calls now.

yup tried it and it worked

it was a slc 5/01 out of a medar control panel.
medar had set a password so nobody could screw with the program.

when i was prompted for the password i entered the numeric numbers

65257636 which allowed me to do a download on top of the old program,
it clears the password, program and the memory.

does no good if you just want to get rid of the password but if you want to reuse the slc in anouther application it is perfect.

i guarantee it works, did for me.
mark