Theoretical question for career.

AivisNewBie

Hello all,

I have just finished my bachelor studies and looking for a job.

One of my lecturer suggested me a job in which I should create DCS systems (know a very little of them but I know that these are really huge projects for which I have no training). I only had some experience with simple projects (I programmed PLCS created HMIs)

Lets say I will be offered a job (probably not, but who knows). They would provide training for it (I hope so).

Question:
Would I be able to Create/Service DCS systems with the training and my current experience, or firstly I should get some more experience with simpler jobs like SCADA/PLC/HMI and then move to the DCS systems.

You will crash and burn, at first. When that happens, get back up and try again. It doesn't get easier, you just get better at it. A mentor is priceless.

One of my lecturer suggested me a job in which I should create DCS systems (know a very little of them but I know that these are really huge projects for which I have no training). I only had some experience with simple projects (I programmed PLCS created HMIs)
Is this a company looking to hire someone, or a piece of work you do to display your skills?

Lets say I will be offered a job (probably not, but who knows). They would provide training for it (I hope so).
See it from the company's perspective. You just left University, why would they need to train you? This doesn't mean they won't, but it may also mean that they give you the facilities to learn by yourself instead.
Further down in your career, once you have knowledge in a specific field companies will pay to maintain that knowledge up to date (when it comes with certifications or knowledge and application of standards) or to retrain you to continue your job and take on new responsibilities.
Fresh out of University... I don't think that will be a given. Also, because you will most likely not be expected to take on jobs by yourself, particularly in a DCS type system.

Question:
Would I be able to Create/Service DCS systems with the training and my current experience, or firstly I should get some more experience with simpler jobs like SCADA/PLC/HMI and then move to the DCS systems.

What would the DCS be controlling? I can make control systems for a lot of things, but am not doing it. Why? I have no clue what I would be making a system to control with.

You will crash and burn, at first. When that happens, get back up and try again. It doesn't get easier, you just get better at it. A mentor is priceless.

+1

You will never find a first job that you are totally prepared to perform. That includes "Do you want fries with that?" level. It is impossible to not have mistakes. What is important is learning how to correct them.

Jobs and skills

I once (and so far only once) had ALL of the skills that were posted for a job. After I applied for the job, the person doing the hiring told me that they were prepared to pay half of what I was making in the job I had. That was a bit disappointing!

So even if you do have all of the skills that are listed for a job, they may not want to pay you what you feel those skills are worth.

Set yourself up to make mistakes in the safest environment that you can, ideally in a lab. Test your code as much as you can. Then work out the rest of the mistakes after it gets installed. And learn how to do it better next time.

Hello all,

I have just finished my bachelor studies and looking for a job.

Question:

"Create DCS systems" is a broad subject. You could be one of the back office guys that actually designs the system, you could be a field engineer that installs and supports the system, you could be the guy that creates the interface screens, etc, etc. Depending on your location the options may be limited as well unless you are willing to relocate, unless you become a field engineer in which case you live out of a suitcase and it doesn't matter where "home" is.

Also, the terms DCS, SCADA, PLC are all semantics if you ask me. They are all various forms of process control. If you can program a PLC you can program a DCS. The important part is knowing the process you are controlling, and knowing the system you are working with, and knowing its limitations and nuances.

If you want to look into DCS, look into GE (MkV, MkVI, MkVIe, still some MkIV out there), Emerson (Ovation, DeltaV, etc), Siemens (T3000, TXP/T2000, etc) Alstom (Blueline but that was purchased by GE and is being supported but no new installations) ABB (Bailey... a dinosaur but still supported). They are all very different in terms of how you program and interface with them, but ultimately they all do the same thing, just like a PLC but on steroids. For that matter I've built PLC systems that are more like DCS systems, using GE RX3i with remote Versamax IO drops "distributed" all over the facility.