Working as PLC engineer in Canada

Petr_Broza

Hello to everyone,

I'm sorry that I start my first post with question.

After finishing my master degree, I worked like PLC engineer for one and half year (Mostly beer breweries on S7). Now I'm moving to Canada and want to ask more experienced guys here, if there is possibility to find a job in automation field, cause I got Czech degree and experiences from Czech republic, but have legal working visa.

Thank you very much for any answer

I don't know about finding work in Canada, but I had a guy in my undergrad engineering program who already had a doctorate from a university in China. He came to America and was having a hard time finding work, so he breezed through our engineering program. I'm not sure if his case is the norm, I think it depends more on the company you try to work for. My advice is to start shooting resumes to everyone who will take one off of indeed.com and just tell them your situation in a phone interview. If you have work experience in the Czech republic, I'd assume your OJT would trump where you got your degree from.

Thanks, that is what I'm doing right now.

One question about your guy, how he get a visa? I tried to find a way, but it looks impossible without years of experiences. I worked for few months in USA and really loved it there.

I have no idea.

I didn't know who he was until we presented our senior projects and all of the professors made their students go watch his. I didn't find out why until after he finished, with by far the best project, when I heard a professor say "that's what happens when a doctor gets a bachelor degree".

Internationally trained professional here in Canada sometimes finding it difficult to find a job you were trained even if you got a lot of experience unless your country of origin is being recognize by the Canadian education system to be similar.

As my personal experience, I was Electronics engineer and spend my career as an industrial automation engineer for quite some time.( in international capacity) but when I arrived here, my country of origin is not in list. I tried to acquire a professional engineer license but the requirement seems to me like "I was a dog running after my tail". And one school here even told me that I have to repeat the entire engineering program.

Until I decided the next best thing, I challenged the electrician red seal ( inter provincial) and luckily I made it.

But When I landed a job it really boils down on what you know. I had seen people of profession, some even a professional engineer but don't know their trade well and end up being fired from the job.

My advise is when you arrive here, Pack a lot of money and a lot of guts, you may encounter a lot of disappointment Just try to get the job you want, If you can afford to have local education and training here will be the best. There is a lot of professionals here ended up driving a taxi cab or flipping burgers.

Thanks for answer. I know its not going to be easy, but its my dream, so I give it try.

About Red seal, you just made an exam or you study it? How much was that?

I challenged the exam, the requirements is not as hard as the engineer's. Just need a certification that you've been doing the job for at least 5000 hours then you can apply to challenge the exam.

You will apply to challenge the exam and an exam fee is $175 maybe, I already forgot. then you will write an exam. Just check to Canadian website.

I'm now checking requirements and it doesn't look so hard, but there is lot of things.

Wow 5000 hours is two and half year. And how you get these hours, if you didn't have Red seal?

thats the actual experience you gather from the actual job you have done, a certification from your employers. there is a form that you can download that will be filled up and will be signed by your employer. Try to look for http://www.itabc.ca/. That website is for British columbia