Vibration Monitoring

cwildgrube

Need help with monitoring a set of bearings on the roof top dust collector fan unit. Have access to CTC Pro Lp300 sensors, AB-850 w/analog input module or a 1400 with analog input. Need help with logic monitoring thresholds of each bearing if its possible. Has anyone accomplished this on the cheap like I'm tasked with doing? We have handheld monitors but I'm not wanting to send my technician up on the roof all the time to gather 20 minutes of data every week so I'd like to monitor the 4-20mA with a plc and alarm off when we hit a predetermined threshold. Is it possible with this hardware, and if it is, what is the best way to do it? I thought about scaling the analog to a 0-100 (percent), setting a threshold of say 60 (whatever our threshold is from baseline) and alarming off if it gets above that mark for "x" amount of time.

Would this work and is this the best way to write the logic?

Thanks
Chris

If you’re open to other sensors, we like Banner QM42VT2 sensors. They have two axis of vibration and temperature in Modbus data. They’re around $200 each. I have read them with ProSoft in CompactLogix, MicroLogix 1100, Click, and DirectLogic 06. This year we will put some on our roof with Micro 820. We will run ethernet and power, probably DC, to each controller and MSG to ControlLogix.

Banner markets these primarily for wireless, but we don’t want to maintain batteries. We use Turck fieldbus blocks and cables with these.

The sensor you have should work fine, and how you propose to do the programming will also work well. The one thing I would add to the program would be some tracking logic to show decay of the bearing over time. That would help you work out a good PM schedule for the machine.
IMHO there is no such thing as the "best" way to program anything, but KISS is always a good guideline to follow.

Bubba