Ferrule crimping style??

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am getting off into using ferrules on some of our PLC IO that has spring and not screw connection terminals.
Now a choice in crimping tools...
I have a choice of square, hexagonal, or trapezoidal...jees
I assume this is shape of crimp on ferrule?
What is preferred crimping style?

I am getting off into using ferrules on some of our PLC IO that has spring and not screw connection terminals.
Now a choice in crimping tools...
I have a choice of square, hexagonal, or trapezoidal...jees
I assume this is shape of crimp on ferrule?
What is preferred crimping style?

We have one particular customer who demands that we use ferrules, and we only use them for that customer's projects. Unless you're using wire with very fine strands, I consider the ferrules a useless nuisance. I purchased a rather expensive Weidmuller ratcheting crimp tool and it makes square crimps. These are fine for cage clamp style terminals, and I use two wire ferrules when necessary, since shoving two ferrules into a single terminal is practically impossible. It seems to me that the hardness of a crimped ferrule would make for a less reliable connection in a spring loaded terminal, but I've never installed any, so I don't have firsthand experience with that.

Read whole thread...only one post that said square.
Seems like hexagonal or trapezoidal would be better?

I thought the Weidmuller paper (post #17) offered advice on shape, but not really. It only shows the different shapes available from their crimp tool.

I thought the Weidmuller paper (post #17) offered advice on shape, but not really. It only shows the different shapes available from their crimp tool.

Weidmuller makes a variety of crimp tools. Their "certified" crimpers make square crimps, but I don't really know what this "certification" entails.

Whatever you use, just make sure it is high quality and used correctly. Any ferrules that are not crimped on perfectly run a high risk of deforming when installed in a terminal. It they do that, getting them out will require an act of Congress and hydraulic levels of force.

Keith

We have one particular customer who demands that we use ferrules, and we only use them for that customer's projects. Unless you're using wire with very fine strands, I consider the ferrules a useless nuisance.

If you were paid to build a panel over here and sent it with no ferrules, it would be thrown back in your face and you would get told to do it properly.

I guess different continents, different ways of working.

Incidentally we use this type:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-tools/3368179/

I've used both square and hex ferrule crimpers, the hexagonal shape was easier to get into terminal blocks than the square shape...the hex tool is what I now keep in my tool bag.

Although ferrules are becoming more popular here in the USA, the reality is they are just another point of failure.

One advantage of using stranded wire is that it mashes down under the terminals well and makes for a secure termination, especially if there are two wires under one terminal (assuming the terminal is rated for two wires and many are).

I’ve troubleshot many panels where the ferrule didn’t “seat” correctly under the terminal and was loose. This is especially true with terminations on IEC-style pushbutton/selector switch connectors.

Another downside to ferrules is that they are labor intensive to install, which translates to more $$$$$.

All of that being said, there are also problems with loose strands of wires causing problems IF the wire is not terminated properly.......and not installing ferrules properly can cause problems too.

If you were paid to build a panel over here and sent it with no ferrules, it would be thrown back in your face and you would get told to do it properly.

I guess different continents, different ways of working.

Yep. Different regions have different rules. We don't build very many of the panels that we install for this one customer. It's mostly installation of panels built by OEM companies. And so, we use the ferrules primarily for field wiring.

They are useless when you're dealing with wire that consists of very stiff strands. The bare copper is softer and compresses better within a cage style terminal block than do the crimped ferrules. I suspect that this is even more important when dealing with those chintzy spring loaded terminals, but as I said previously, I've never attempted to terminate crimped ferrules into a spring loaded terminal, so I don't know how well they would hold up. I would never install spring loaded terminals in a panel that we built. They are just inherently unreliable in an industrial environment.

I have a phoenix contact hex ferrule crimper and prefer the square. Mostly for when I am trying to fit a double ferrule in to a terminal that is square and the round shape just won't fit.

Our panel shop used to use the hex and only use the square ones now. I can't imagine ferrules causing a connection problem if the connection can pass the "tug test".