O/T Air Compressor Suggestions

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm in the market to replace a 15 year old 100 HP Leroi air compressor.

I came here asking for any advice on what to look for, or what to stay away from.

I can talk to the Compressor people who service our machines, but I am hoping that I might get some unbiased opinions here.

we have 3 150hp quincy Compressors that have been great and give 0 trouble. adn we asol have some sullair that have been good all water cooled.

I have had the best luck, and lowest maintenance, on Quincy air compressors.

Have been involved with a few Kaiser's and they do last, but I think they are high maintenance.

Thank you for follow up, and addition questions

Just curious...

It is important in industrial facilities to have "Clean, Dry, Air".

When you have this new air compressor, is that it? Or do you still need after-Coolers, and down-Stream water-separators, and compressed air DRYING equipment?

Does your new air compressor have on-board KWHR metering? If your air compressor records KWHR, you can back-check that number with what you are paying per each KWHR from your electricity utility supplier to determine you cost per month/Year for compressed air usage.

Thank You,

Plastic

Last two plants I worked had Ingersol-Rand. Lots of problems that required us to get rentals.

Lots of plants in the area are using Kaeser. Can’t speak personally of them, but “he said” they have no issues.

I would suggest this,
Instead of replacing your 100HP with a new 100HP compressor. I would opt to install three 50HP compressors.

Keep them rotated and you will always be able to service one of the three. If there is a problem with one, you have a backup.

We have a pair of 100 HP Ingersoll Rand IRN100H-CC Nirvana VSD compressors installed about 13-14 years ago. Nothing but trouble, and evidently due to the troubles they had with them, IR no longer makes that type of compressor anymore. Unfortunately, their equivalent replacement is about a foot taller and 2 feet longer, so two will not fit into the space that my predecessors shoehorned these into. I like the idea of 3 50 HP units, but again, no room, unless I abandon the current supplier (they only handle IR). We have heated desiccant dryers, because we need instrument grade air, but those are working fine.

Just curious...

It is important in industrial facilities to have "Clean, Dry, Air".

...Plastic
Yes Clean dry air is important.
...When you have this new air compressor, is that it? Or do you still need after-Coolers, and down-Stream water-separators, and compressed air DRYING equipment?...
Plastic
No we still need water-separators / dryers.
Does your new air compressor have on-board KWHR metering? If your air compressor records KWHR, you can back-check that number with what you are paying per each KWHR from your electricity utility supplier to determine you cost per month/Year for compressed air usage.
Plastic
I looked through the menu for KWHR data, but I didn't find anything.
We are still going to turn in what we have to the City, because that is who we purchase our electricity from.

Last two plants I worked had Ingersol-Rand. Lots of problems that required us to get rentals.

Lots of plants in the area are using Kaeser. Can’t speak personally of them, but “he said” they have no issues.

I would suggest this,
Instead of replacing your 100HP with a new 100HP compressor. I would opt to install three 50HP compressors.

Keep them rotated and you will always be able to service one of the three. If there is a problem with one, you have a backup.

Good advice, but unfortunately I have space constraints much like Mark.
a 50 HP compressor is not physically half the size of a 100 HP one, nor half the cost.

A little story that might be worthwhile for someone:

We have three 90kw Atlas Copco dry screw compressors. Our normal demand is two. Recently after a rare shutdown weekend, the discharge check valve of one was stuck open. When the first compressor was started and charged the lines, the stuck valve compressor ran reverse at a substantial speed and quickly destroyed both stages. Considering repair cost, we replaced the entire unit.

We have a great idea to add a test dump valve and an external check valve with a small tube bypass, just enough for the pressure sensor to function but not enough flow for destruction. Opening the test valve, we could periodically test the added check valve. Of course we haven’t actually done that yet...